Chapter 27

Maybe's and Surprises

"I'm home!" I called, dumping my bag onto the floor next to the door and leaving the door open behind me. A second later I realised how stupid I sounded. I knew dad wasn't home, so what was the point of calling? And why was I so disappointed?

"Where did you want me to put this bag?" Wes asked, walking through the door with my second bag in one hand.

"Just next to the other one," I pointed.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his eyebrows pulling together.

"Nothing," I smiled at him, going into the kitchen and handing him a soda. His hand lingered on mine as he took it from me. I grinned at him, "Thank you for the camping trip. It was awesome."

"Even better than going to Kevin's party?" he smirked at me, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Guess I'll find out at his next one," I commented slyly. "I mean he did invite me personally."

"Wes pulled me to him, growling softly in my ear, "Not without me you're not."

That sent a warm shiver down my spine. The fact that he wanted to stay by my side, even after our camping trip, was amazing. I haven't really had a long-term boyfriend, ever. The few boyfriends that I have had hadn't really lasted more than two months. I always got out before it got serious. It wasn't because I was afraid of commitment or anything. It was just that I only wanted a serious relationship with the right one, and none of them were the right guy for me. Wes was exciting. I had no idea what was going to happen next and I was completely fine with that for once in my life.

"Don't tell me you're going to be that guy who watches me while I sleep or something," I laughed at him.

"No, but I can be the boyfriend who shows up in your bedroom in the middle of the night in just a maid outfit," he winked at me.

"Huh, is that what you are now?" I asked, looking up at him. This close to him, I could see the golden flecks surrounding his pupil. His eyes looked directly into my soul. I willed the butterflies in my stomach to stop so I could concentrate on him.

"Well we did go on a date, and sleep together," he reminded me.

"Okay, one, that date was called kidnapping," I pointed out. "And two, we slept in the same tent together. We did not sleep together."

"Okay, you may have a point," he chuckled. "How about a real date tonight then? Dinner? Then you can decide if it's good enough to call me a boyfriend."

I bit my lip in hesitation. As tempting as that sounded, I hadn't gotten around to studying all weekend and there was so much homework that had to be done.

"Was-Was that too fast for you?" he asked, uncertainty clouding his face. Woah, I have never ever seen Wes look uncertain before. He dropped his hands from my waist and took a step back. "Sorry, we can go slower if you'd like."

"No!" I protested, a little too quickly. I closed my mouth, thinking I sounded a bit too eager. "It's just that I was thinking about the amount of homework and study we've missed out on."

"Oh, right," Wes ran a hand through his hair.

"Woah," I said lightly. "I don't think I've ever seen you nervous before."

"Yeah, well," Wes said, rubbing the back of his neck, looking up at me and catching my eyes. "You do that to me. I don't want to do anything wrong when it comes to you. I guess that part makes me nervous."

I smiled at him. I never knew the word 'cute' could apply to Wes until now.

"Maybe I'll take you up on that dinner date another day," I told him.