Chapter 5: Live A Little

Sanai Green

"It's like you caught up in a maze

You keep going in circles girl tryna find your way out

But it's time I put that 'S' on my chest

Girl, I wanna come and save you"

"Sa girl, you just got seated." My coworker, Mya, said as soon as I closed my locker.

I instantly rolled my eyes. How could I just get seated and I literally just clocked in.

"Why does Richard always want to play with me?" I asked referring to the host.

He was a gay guy, about 5'3 that loved seating my section at the most inopportune times. One of these days I was going to cuss him out. After tying my hair back into a low ponytail and wrapping my apron around my waist, I walked out to greet my first customer of the day. Imagine my surprise when I saw that curly blonde hair peeking over a menu as Rome lounged back into the booth in my section.

I quickly spun back around into the employee break room to double check my appearance. Why am I even doing all of this? I wondered to myself. Giving my face one last once over, I walked back out into the restaurant's dining area. One foot in front of the other...Feet please don't fail me now.

"Good morning and welcome to Jackson's Family Diner," I started out with my early morning spiel. "My name is Sanai and I'll be your server today. Can I get you started with a fresh cup of coffee today?"

Rome slowly placed the menu down and looked at me with those beautiful light brown eyes.

"Actually, I would like a cup of coffee. I'll take that with two sugars, two creme's." His full pink lips pulled into a lazy smirk.

I quickly adverted my gaze to my notepad, ready to jot down his order.

"Are you ready to order? Or do you need a few more minutes."

"I think I'll take a few moments to look over the menu. But, I would like to know one thing," His hand lightly grabbed onto my wrist as I began walking away.

I looked down at his hand touching mine and tried to remain unaffected by the motion.

"What's that?" I softly asked.

"Why didn't you show up to work yesterday?" He finally let go of my wrist and looked up at me expectantly.

"You came up here yesterday?" A playful smiled dared to play on my lips.

"Guilty," He lowly chuckled.

"You know that's considered borderline stalking right?" I smirked at him.

"I like to think of it as being concerned," He laughed. "You never told me you made it home after class that night. I just wanted to make sure you were straight."

The sincere look in his eyes was almost too much to resist.

"Well, if you must know my brother took my siblings and I out to eat last night so I got off early." I told him, as if it were truly any of his business.

He slowly nodded and picked his menu back up.

"I think I'm ready to order now. I'll take the pancake breakfast with scrambled cheese eggs and bacon." He handed over his menu after he finished ordering and I tucked it underneath my arm.