Chapter 24: The Festival

Tons of fluff in this chapter. Some would call this the calm before the storm... But before you guys read on, I just want to take a moment to recognize the deaths of the Philando Castile from Minnesota, the state I reside in. Alton Sterling , and the man who was found hanging in Piedmont Park, Atlanta Georgia. These black men found an injustice end through the corrupt judicial system that has been kept in place regardless of the lives that have been taken. Unconscious racism is a thing, it's about time our policemen learn that. Who do you call when the murderer wears a badge? #blacklivesmatter

Aria's POV

"I-I-I-" I started, completely shocked as to what was happening.

"God, Aria, it's past midnight. I don't mean to rush a moment here... But can you hurry it up?" Chris groaned, leaning against the door frame as his eyelids heavily lifted.

"I- yes. Yes. Fuck absolutely, yes." I nodded, stumbling over my words.

"Oh thank god." He groaned, pulling me in by my waist as he connected our lips again. I moaned into the kiss, loving the way his hands felt on me, but he cut it off all too soon. I whined from the loss as he pulled away. "You know I'd love to continue that, but I'm literally about to curl up on your porch and pass out." He sighed, pulling away completely and backing out onto my porch.

The grin on my face never left as he said his goodbyes and headed towards his car. I watched as he pulled out of the driveway and onto the street, before I closed the door.

"That went well." I spoke to myself, nodding as I headed upstairs towards the studio. I found myself being drawn to this room every second of the day, yet I hadn't actually been in here since Sunday night.

Everything was left as it were. I switched the light on and the room came to life all over again. I moved to the first painting from the right this time, admiring its whimsical setting. It looked oddly familiar, like I had seen this place before, but I couldn't place a finger on it.

The next painting was actually a cityscape. It was the painting that did not belong with the others. All the rest were sole landscapes, paintings which held only trees and rivers, nothing man made. This last one looked like the Arial view for a small city.

I sighed, slowly backing away from the painting and setting up the easel to start my own masterpiece.

~

The rest of the week passed with a blur. The town came to life in preparation for the festival as lights wet up, along with carnival rides. Nick couldn't hold in his excitement come Friday, and he somehow managed to weasel me into an early field trip to the carnival campground as they put up the tents.

Everything was beautiful.

The signs that Chris and I made, pointed towards the main campground that was filled with food stands and fair games. As the night grew nearer, autumn lights lit up the streets, complimenting the colder weather quite well...

"Do I have to wear a coat?" Nick whined, as Chris zipped up his military green jacket.

"It's chilly out tonight." I nodded, slipping a sweater on over my long sleeve shirt.

We were currently standing at the entrance of my home, getting ready for the festival. "Aria's right. This way, you'll do less complaining, and have more time having fun." Chris added, as he opened the front door for the both of us.

"Well done." I whispered against his lips as I pulled him in for a chastened kiss before we headed out into the chilly night.

"That was far too short for my liking." He whined from somewhere behind me as I put Nick into his booster in the back, then slid into the passenger side of Chris's car. We both silently agreed that my death contraption of a rental car was not going to be our pumpkin to carriage tonight.

The drive to town seemed shorter than usual as Chris consistently placed his hand on my thigh, and I consistently swatted it away while Nick consistently make kissy noises in the back seat.

When we arrived, Nick practically bolted out of their car and into the busy streets of children and their parents as they entered the fair grounds.

"Will he be okay on his own?" I asked hesitantly as we watched him run towards the food tents.

"I've worked out a chaperone for him." Chris replied. We watched as he quickly found Timmy and his mother from the stand by the corndogs.

"So where does that leave us?" I asked as I turned to this handsome devil in his trench coat and ripped jeans.

"How about a ferris ride, my love?" He asked, as he slipped his hand into mine.

"I would be delighted." I replied, pulling his hand into me as we walked toward the Ferris wheel. Smells of fair food filled our nostrils, drawing both Chris and I off track and towards a cotton candy machine besides the Ferris wheel.

"Could we get two blue raspberry cotton candy?" Chris asked, slipping the man a 20 before I could even reach for my wallet.

"Coming right up." The man nodded, glancing at me and shooting a smile before heading back to make the treat. Chris's hand moved from mine to my waist as he pulled me closer to him.

"Why does every guy hit on you everywhere we go." He groaned, as his nose resting against my head and I leaned into his touch.

"Oh hush up, I feel like latching myself on to your torso and growling 'mine' at every woman who glanced at you." I shot back, grinning widely as the guy set the two delicious cotton candy sticks to our hands.

"Alright alright alright. How about that Ferris wheel ride now?" He asked, as he lead me towards the large attraction.

It had been too long since I had last been at a carnival, and it was taking everything in me to not lose my shit. Chris handed the man a few bills and lead me up into the carriage with him behind. He slid into the seat next to me, as the ride jerked to life. My hands grabbed his as we began our ascent.

"This is beautiful." I whispered, admiring the lights from the aerial view.

"It is." He whispered back, standing and offering me a hand once the ride stopped at the top. He pulled he into him, as he steadied us both while the carriage rocked. From the top, you could look over the small little town, and literally see out into the ocean. The lighthouse stood at the end of the rocky hills, casting light out into the darkened ocean. Chris wrapped his arms around my waist as I snuggled back into his chest.

"Are you prepared to meet my mother tomorrow?" I whispered, as he rested his chin against my head.

"Will she- will she kill me or something?" He asked uneasily, as his arms loosened up a bit around my waist. I couldn't help th laughter that tumbled out of me as I tried to muffle the sounds. "What's so funny?" He asked.

"It's the fact that I'm actually not too sure if she will or not." I replied, holding his arms as he hesitantly tried to retract them. "I'm kidding I'm kidding." I laughed, looking back at the town.

"What have I gotten myself into." He joked, pulling me closer.

"Buckets of trouble." I teased, as we went back to admiring the ocean.