Chapter 1

• Bethany's POV •

I wake up bright and early, white light beaming through little spaces in my purple window curtain. I seriously need some new ones.

I pull myself from the warm comfort of my bed. Is it bad I want to crawl back and never get up?

I sigh as I search my closet for something to wear. Despite a full closet of colorful articles of clothing, I own nothing to wear. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nada.

I give up and pull out a gray frayed printed crop tank top with one teaspoon xanthe bandits light blue destroyed denim shorts I match that with a pair of Jordan 12s in Wolf Gray and University Blue. (A/N: outfit & picture of Bethany above‼️) I decided to leave my hair natural.

After all that, I grab my black north face book bag from the corner of my room, and sling it lazily over my shoulder. I sigh as I start down the stairs.

"Morning Bethy," my mom smiles when I trudge into the kitchen. It's obvious to anyone that I'm nothin like her. She is a brunette, but has much darker hair than me, and hers is curly like mine. I got most of my features from my dad. He's probably at work doing his business or whatever. It's kind of like work is my dad's daughter instead of me.

My dad was dark skinned. He was German, and French. My mom was white. She was mixed with Italian, Dominican, and Native American. So I guess you can call me a mixed child or a mutt 😂.

"Morning madre," I say as I snatch a banana from a bowl in the center of the black granite counter top. I make my way to the front door with it in my hand.

"Have a good day at school," my mom calls behind me.

"Thanks." I mutter before slamming the front door. I hate school.

I make my way down the cracked cement sidewalk.

Because I'm 15 and unable to drive, I walk to school everyday. I usually turn down the offer my mom occasionally gives to drive me to school.

The fresh spring heat hits me with wind that blows my curly hair into my mouth.. These aren't chilly winds, they're heated winds. It feels nice, I guess. The kind of nice that is only nice because it's different.

Before I knew it I was entering school, and thinking to myself, here goes nothin.

•••••

"No he didn't!" I exclaim at Rebecca as she tells me a story about a party she's gone to in which a guy thought it'd be funny to strip down and jump from the roof and into the pool. Spoiler: he missed.

"He did!" She yelled as we both cracked up and continue to walk through the school halls. This is the time during lunch where everyone finished their meals and roams the school until the bell signals them to go back to their classes. Today is one of those 'extended lunch' days, my favorite, where we have 45 minutes to whatever we wanna do.

Rebecca and I start up our small talk again as we turn a corner.

Oh nah that's gross.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have a wild skank making out with none other than Kevin Alston. Probably a freshman because I've learned that most girls in our grade have already been used, and only the desperate ones go running back.