Chapter Five

• Dedicated to Janice Gerrity

So is Jake off the hook yet? You'll have to read to find out. Another song Jake listens to on his phone is Justin Timberlake's Mirrors. Its a good song!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                                                             Jake

Monday came and the sky was cloudy. My parents still haven’t let me off for good behavior yet so that meant yard work when I got back from school. All of that didn’t matter because I would get to see Danny today. 

Now I was nervous, vacant of all that confidence I had two nights ago. How the heck was I ever going to get used to this?

I didn’t go out of my to dress up for school. My green eyes looked normal. Nothing was updated or overdone. Sleep had come quick and I had stayed asleep the entire night. My parents were both gone already. I wanted things to be pretty much as normal as they always have been. Danny was just a bonus. I hoped things wouldn’t end up getting awkward. I drove to school like I normally did.

I got more glances in my direction than I did on my first day here. If they kept that up Danny may never approach me. I had no knowledge of where his locker was or where his homeroom was. I didn’t try to find that out. It was just another normal day of school passing into the third month of being here. 

This babble in my head was driving me insane. Maybe if I saw Danny or he saw me, we would just say hi to each other. That would pretty much be it. There was no reason to get all psyched up.

Did anything exciting happen in homeroom? No.

Did anything different happen in World History II? I am still average.

Did anything wild happen in Gym? Running track had only boosted my appetite.

Lunchtime however met nearly the whole gang being together. The rest of the day I would have classes with a few of them. Heather was already bouncing in her seat while Lillian tried to look modest. It was Heather that did everything but beat everything out of me and just Lillian followed every word. The guys kept to themselves, details didn’t matter.

Then I just had to ask the girls on how things went for them. Lillian of course said things were a disaster. Jimmy and her were in his car. She didn’t expect her dad to still be awake and check outside the windows. Jimmy’s name was forbidden to be said at the dinner table. I filled her in on my punishment to sympathize with her.  

Heather told us that Charles went all out. Nick and Nikko helped out on setting the bedroom up at Charles’ house. So that explained why Nick and Nikko were late. There was candle light, lots of pillows, mood music, wine coolers as refreshment, and made from scratch brownies (or cake). She couldn’t tell which but the thought was what mattered. He was real careful about not hurting her and oh boy did it hurt. Once they got through a little more sweet talk it became bearable.

Still I found her story much more interesting than mine. 

Charles and Jimmy were inhaling all of their food while the cousins were making rounds about the cafeteria. Heather and Lillian got deep into a conversation about something when Daniel sat down next to me. Now this drew no attraction, apparently only Danny had that effect.

“Danny’s been looking for you,” He said sitting backwards on the chair.

I almost had to ask him what he said because it was so sudden.

“Oh yeah, where’s he been?” I stayed casual. 

Daniel grinned wide, “About the same as you, casual about everything.”

Thank you God for not adding anymore pressure but I didn’t know what else to say.

“Give him a chance,” Daniel told me turning into who I could see was Danny’s best friend, “He’s a really good guy. We all just want to see him happy.”