44-♫-Waiting For Superman

♫-Chapter 44 *unedited*

She’s talking to angels, counting the stars

Making a wish on a passing car

She’s dancing with strangers, falling apart

Waiting for Superman to pick her up

In his arms

            “So I’ll schedule the surgery for about a week and a half…sound good?” Dr. White asks, peering up from his clipboard.

            I sit in the seat, my hands clasped tight as Teegan lies propped up against pillows, his face blank.

            He nods, his eyes hard to decipher.

            The doctor clears his throat, getting up to adjust Teegan’s Iv.

            “Stay strong,” the doctor murmurs quietly, resting a hand on Teegan’s shoulder before exiting the room.

            Teegan doesn’t say a word as he stares off in space. I don’t say anything either.

            We just sit there, breathing.

            It’s funny how just a couple weeks ago we were fooling around, believing that Teegan could never get sick.

            But here he was, stuck in the hospital and on the verge of losing everything.

            Coughing, my throat clenches in an ache but I quickly dismiss it, trying not to show my discomfort in front of Teegan, he was already beating himself up about the incident.

            Staring at my hands, I listen to the quiet tick of the clock, everything slowly settling into my brain.

            The doctor was going to do a surgery not to save Teegan’s hearing but to save his life.

            They were going to get the tumor out.

            Even saying that word was hard to believe.

            In the beginning, it was just the prospect of Teegan losing his hearing but all of a sudden, it became Teegan nearly dying.

            I would say things like this didn’t happen in real life, to people like me, but it did. Maybe not all at one like this, but it happened in real life.

            People died-

            All the time.

            And that’s what scared me the most.

            Knowing that something in his brain could kill him in any second and I couldn’t do anything. Here he was, the great love of my life, and yet he was on borrowed time, wishing not to die.

            My chest tightens again and I don’t even realize I am crying until the first drop plops onto my clasped hands.

            And then another one drops. And then another.

            As I sit here, silently crying, I feel so much anger at myself. Why was I crying when I wasn’t the one in pain and about to die.