Chapter 12: Johnny's Game

Drip. Splat.

Drip, drip. Splat.

Drip. Splat.

Drip, drip. Splat.

I woke up to the sound of my own blood dripping and hitting the concrete floor. The room was so silent a human could hear a pin drop. With wolf senses I didn't need the quiet to hear it but it was there. The sound was gross enough to make my stomach churn.

My head was lolled back over the wooden chair I sat on. My hands were tightly tied behind the back of the chair. The blood was slowly dripping down from the side of my head onto the concrete floor.

My feet were tied to the legs of the chair. I could barely feel my chest rise and fall. My heartbeat was sluggish and my head felt like someone used it as a punching bag. My broken rib pinched my side every time I took a breath.

I refused to open my eyes. There were three other males in the room. I didn't want them to know I was awake yet.

My senses slowly returned to me. I could hear the men's rapid heartbeats as they slammed into their chests. Adrenaline rapidly coursed through their bodies.

Two of them were wolf shifters and the other was a hunter.

I slowly inhaled, trying to keep my breathing even. I was trying not to alert them to my consciousness. One of the wolves was from the Waters Edge pack. The other was from the Hollows.

My heartbeat began to increase. It couldn't be true. I had to be mistaken.

My nose took their scents in again, much faster this time. A shudder pulsed down my body in disgust. I wasn't wrong. I didn't even try to conceal it this time. The movement didn't go unnoticed.

"She's awake," one of the male wolves grunted. It was the wolf from Walter's pack.

"She hasn't even moved or opened her eyes. How can you be so sure?" the hunter asked in disbelief.

I felt like his eyes were burning a hole into my body. He was trying to see what the wolf saw but his eyesight wasn't as advanced as ours.

"Her breathing has changed and she did move," he answered without giving me another look.

"You can stop pretending you are asleep, Arianna," the other wolf growled.

Damn.

My eyes slowly fluttered open. It took a few moments to adjust to the lighting in the room. The two wolves were across the room as they stood guard by the door. The hunter was squatting on the ground right in front of me.

"Good morning little wolf."

I kept my mouth shut. I wasn't going to respond to him. I didn't even know what to say to him right now. I gave the two wolves a pleading look. They both turned away from me without a second thought.

"Eyes over here," the hunter grunted at me. He jerked my face back towards him.

"Don't touch me," I hissed at him.

He quickly let go of my jaw when I growled at him.

"Listen here missy. It would be prudent of you to treat me with respect."

I snorted, "You have done nothing to earn my respect."

His knuckles cracked as he clenched his fists at his sides. He narrowed his eyes and gave me a hefty shove. The chair teetered on the back legs for a moment before completely falling backwards.