Chapter 22: Take Candies from Babies

Rule #25: Take Candies from Babies

Just Don't be Kind to Children

- () -

After I ring the doorbell to Archer's, a crash of glass shattering comes from inside, followed by the sound of booming laughter. The snake peeks up from his place around my neck and glances around with wary eyes.

"Don't worry, Spots, you'll be safe soon," I reassure and shift him so he doesn't fall off.

Spots rests his head back on my shoulder and closes his eyes.

Just then, a little girl swings open the door, her dark brown braids swinging wildly. Her brown eyes shift from the spotted snake on my shoulder to my pink strands until it reaches my face again.

"Hello. Is Archer here?" I ask. "I need his camera."

"Who are you?"

"My name is Peyton. I'm his neighbor."

"How can I make sure you're not a stranger?"

"Ask Archer."

"Okay. I will."

"Okay."

The girl tilts her head to the side. "You look like a fairy."

"...Thanks."

I take her persistent questions as an invitation to step inside. Without checking on her, I walk into the living room, where most of the Raine family seems to be. To my frustration, the little girl continues to follow me.

"Why is your hair pink?"

"I ate too much cotton candy."

"I eat a lot of chocolate. Is that why my hair is brown?"

I hate children. "Possibly."

"Cool. Maybe if I eat a lot of strawberries, my hair can turn red. Or no - I'll eat blueberries so my hair will turn blue..."

We enter his living room.

There are around thirty to forty people in total, twice the size of my family. Uncles dominate the couch, chatting at the top of their voices and gulping down bottles of beer. Boys around the age of Archer sit on the floor, playing some video game.

"I brought the neighbor Peyton!" The little girl announces before trotting over to a group of girls painting each others nails in the corner.

Thirty heads swivel towards me.

I spot grey eyes, pale skin and brown hair in every corner. But none of the faces have that smug grin that I'm used to seeing. Archer isn't here.

"Sorry for interrupting." I say and then, turn to go upstairs to Archer's room.

Before anybody can respond, a scream comes from the backyard. Some ladies are entering the living room from outside. When they open the door, Buster sprints inside, his paws leaving mud all over the floor.

"Hi Buster!" I say. "I don't why you're so excited I just saw you this morning - be careful of Spots - he's a little scared because of the - holy shi -"

Just behind Buster, about a dozen other dogs follow behind him. Everything from a German Shepard to a tiny poodle bounds towards me. Their barking fills the house as they rush inside, making my heart thud with excitement. But I have somewhere to be, so I pat their heads and try to move.

"Hey guys, I'm a little busy right now, so why don't you move aside?" I pat a Border Collie's head. "Seriously, I need to go."

The dogs surround my legs, making it impossible for me to leave without stepping on one of their tails. Normally, I'd be thrilled to see so many dogs in one place - and in a way, I am - but right now, I can't afford the time.