Chapter Two

Warning: scary dream sequence. Also, this is the second version. I've cut it by about 500 words.

~

Caw. Tap. Scratch.

           Caw. Tap. Scratch.

Caw. Tap. Scratch.

           The sounds sent shivers down my spine as I turned on my heel and took in my surroundings. Again, I found myself staring into the darkness without a sign of escape to ignite hope in my broken mind. This dream, and I knew it was a dream, would forever be stained with the feeling of dread, feeling of hopelessness, feeling of terror. It sent involuntary chills shivering down my spine, made my hair stand on end, and drew sweat to my brow.

           My eyes could never quite adjust to the darkness. It was engulfing, there was nothing that I could do about it. There was no light. Nothing but the caw, tap, and scratch. Windows. There were always windows, but they couldn't be broken- no matter how much force I used. Crows. There were always crows and the tantalizingly annoying caw, tap, scratch of their talons along the unbreakable windows.

           Creak.  Every time I moved into the darkness the aging wood would creak and crack. It was old and brittle. There was dust, everywhere. I could never cough, and it seemed to cling to my mouth- it tasted like sand. My tongue wanted to badly to rid of the ugly texture.

           Creak. More steps taken and more breaking wood. Maybe he floor would give way and send me crashing through the house like Alice plummeting through the rabbit hole. The sound was only interrupted by my thoughts . Fear was the only thing I fel-

           "Adaline," a voice echoed through the old and tattered house. A voice carved from hell itself.

           Cold chills were sent shooting down my spine.

           Cold. Shivers. Fear.

           "I know you're here."

           I held my breath. I knew if I kept perfectly still that there was a chance I wouldn't be caught. Even the tiny sliver of hope was enough to keep my eyes glued shut. I gripped on the wooden railing so hard that I could feel the blood dripping from stray shards that had impaled me.

           "Little child. I can smell your blood. Tastes sweet darling."

It laughs. Another chill was sent shooting down my spine. It was pure evil, pure darkness, pure disparity.

In its essence, the voice of that thing, is complete and utter evil. There are not enough words in the English language to describe the terror that shook me.

           The caws grow louder.

           The chills colder.

           The voice nearer.

           And then there were nails- brittle and undeniably sharp- like the feeling of chalk being scraped along a blackboard.

           Electricity rippled through the darkness and there was nothing else but pulsing light illuminating a stairwell stained by a dreamer's fear.

           "Get out of my head," I whispered through gritted teeth. Another chuckle.

           "But, darling, you're the one summoning me here. Shush, this will only hurt a little," the darkness seemed to rejoice at the voice's proclamation. There were more bolts of lightning sent rippling through the air, but this time they soared right into my tiny body sending it alight with sensation and crippling pain. My screams were mixed only with the sounds of a crows and its,