The Arrival of the Faeire King

“My lord, there’s a large host outside the city walls”, panted a sentry.

Ector banged his head on the Round Table, as the knights began to converse amongst themselves as they heard the news. “Let me guess,” said King Ector has he raised his head, his lack of enthusiasm was deep in his voice, “They have come to give nice trinkets and gifts for me.”

“Well my lord, there was one man who approached the gate saying he was speaking on behalf of his lord, Oberon,” said the sentry.

“Wait, do you say Oberon?”

“Why yes my liege?”

“Well then,” said Ector with delight as he rose from his chair, “Make sure he’s not here to kill all of us. And if he comes in peace, let him in.”

The sentry left as Sir Dagonet turned to the king, “How do you know this isn’t a trap.”

“As long as he doesn’t want to kill Llewiquin, I think we’re in good stead with the Faerie King.”

“Fae King, my lord,” corrected Merlin.

“Whatever, let’s go greet our guests before they start making a mess by the city walls, lord knows what that will entail. Sir Kay, get your squire, he’ll want to see this.”

Sir Kay turned and shouted, “Beaumains! Get your ass out here!”

“Yes my lord,” Ulrich said as he peered his head through one of the doors leading to the kitchen.

“King Ector wants you to come with us to meet some fancy folk. And look decent too, and for God’s sake don’t smell like you’ve been in the kitchen!”

The knights lined the front parapet and King Ector peered out to see hundreds of warriors, lords, ladies, other members of court. Their attire was beyond superb and each one appeared to be a true image of the chivalry and regal life. Ector couldn’t help but feel a little overpowered by the air of superiority that almost made him sick.

A rider came to the head of the massive convoy. Ector knew immediately who it was. “Welcome King Oberon, welcome to Camelot,” the king said welcomingly.

“Good tidings, Lord Ector,” the Fae King replied, “I hope to have found you and your court in good spirits.”

“Well given we’ve had a month to beginning removing all the cob webs and vermin leavings, and it’s been mostly done by Ulrich here…I’d say we’re doing pretty good for the moment.”

“Excellent to hear my friend. I was wondering if I could have a word with you?”

“What about the rest of your retinue?”

“I only need a few of them for the gifts I have for you. The rest prefer to enjoy the natural surroundings. It reminds them of their homes back in our country.”

“We’ll be down shortly then.”

Ector and Oberon used the Room of the Round Table to converse as the members of both courts interacted with each other. Oberon was taller than Ector by at least six inches, though not pale, the Fae had a bluish hue with his skin, and his eyes were an emerald green. His voice was soft, though Ector could tell the authority that came with him, and the wrath that could be roused from within.

“My Ector, how you’ve grown into a fine young man,” said the Fae King, “You look just like your father.”

“Thank you, Lord Oberon. It’s very much appreciated coming from you. How is your niece doing, by the way?”