•TWENTY-SEVEN•

Mackenzie's POV

I've been sitting out in my car for about an hour, waiting for Hayes to leave his house so I can sneak in and prove to Gabby that he's not as bad as she thinks.

I, personally, don't like him, but there's no reason to accuse him of murder.

I waited about ten more minutes until I saw his car pull out of the garage and down his driveway, then out of his street. I waited until his car wasn't visible anymore then got out of my car.

I jogged up to the front door and grabbed the small, silver key with red hearts drawn in Sharpie out of my pocket.

I remember a while back when Gabby and I were pranking Hayes by TPing his house and she had a spare key. It was in her spare key drawer, so I decided to just take it out. She wouldn't notice anyways. It's not like she's gonna use it again.

I unlocked the front door and saw the familiar setup of Hayes' home.

As I walked into the kitchen, I looked around for anything that could be a sign of Hayes being somewhat innocent. I walked around into the living and dining room and searched through everything.

I finally went upstairs and into the rooms. I went into the two guest rooms and Hayes' bedroom, then a room at the end of the hallway with the door open just a crack.

I hesitated to go in there, but I need to prove to Gabby that she's fine.

I opened the door and flipped on the light, and was shocked to see what I did.

There were tons and tons of pictures and sticky notes pinned and taped to the walls. It's like something you'd see in a movie.

I slowly walked closer to the collage of pictures, notes, and charts and just looked at the things that were there.

Pictures of Gabby getting her mail, in restaurants, with Jack. Little post-it notes by the pictures, telling the exact date and time the picture was taken.

I took out my phone and started taking pictures of all of this, to show to Gabby and the police.

I took tons and decided to send them to her, but the texts wouldn't send.

"There's no service in here, I wouldn't even try." I heard Hayes' voice causing me to jump and drop my phone.

"So, I see you found what I'm hiding?" He said.

"Oh, uh, hey.. Hayes."

"Hey Mackenzie. It's been a while. I didn't think I'd find you breaking an entering into my house though," He started to walk closer to me "And I didn't think you were a crazy psychopath, but I guess we were both wrong." He let out a sigh while taking a step forward.

"Mackenzie, are you going to tell people what you've just seen? And share those pictures with other people outside of this house?" "Hell yeah I am! I need to prove that Gabby was right." "Gabby was right? Right about what?" He started to walk closer

"That's none of your concern. Now, I think we can both just sit down and get this all figured out or get you a therapist or something." He snickered at my words.

"I don't want to sit down and have a conversation with you or a therapist, I want Gabby."

"Well, I'm sorry, but she doesn't want you," He stayed silent "I even tried to convince her that you weren't a fucking sociopath, but I guess I was wrong." I shook my head as I started to slowly walk past him.

He grabbed my upper arm with a strong grip and looked back at me, dead in the eyes "You're not leaving."

"Hayes, I could talk to her for you and try to convince her that you're not as crazy as you seem as long as you promise to fucking change.. and let go of my arm... I promise." I tried my hardest to convince him that I was on his side

"Lying through your teeth is only making things worse, Mackenzie." He said while tightening his grip on my wrist.

"Hayes, stop. You're hurting me." I said while trying to pry his hands off of me.

"Too bad." He said with no remorse.

I kneed him in his crotch and he let go of my arm. I ran downstairs and to the front door, but it was locked.

I heard his heavy footsteps coming down the stairs so I ran to the kitchen where the basement door was. I opened it, which made a big creaking noise then hid behind the counter, so I could fool Hayes into thinking I went down there.

I heard him walk into the kitchen, stop for a couple of seconds, then go down the stairs

I got up and went back to the front door, trying my hardest to open it, but it just wouldn't budge.

I heard him coming back upstairs, so I darted up the stairs to the second level and went into his bedroom, silently shutting the door.

I hid under a pile of clothes inside of his closet and sat there, trying to control my breathing.

"Mackenzie, I know you're here." He yelled and I heard another door slam open.

I could feel my heart pounding inside of my chest.

"Ya see," I could hear his heavy footsteps against the hardwood floor, nearing my hiding place "I can easily find you because you made the stupid decision of shutting every door that led to your little spot," I heard the bedroom door open.

"And of corse, the most cliche spot in the house," I heard the closet door open "The closet."

I felt all of the clothes being lifted off of me and the light hit my face.

"Hayes, wait, before you do anything..." I stood up with my hands up in surrender.

"I'm not dying today!" I yelled while pushing past him, causing him to fall to the floor.

I sprinted out of the room and down the stairs, and I could hear his heavy footsteps behind me. I was two steps away from the door when I got yanked back by my waist and thrown on the floor, on my back.

I could feel Hayes' body weight on top of me so he was straddling me, and my hands being pinned above my head.

"You just love making stupid decisions, don't you?" He scoffed.

"Hayes, let me go!" I shouted.

"Why should I? You're just going to get me arrested."

"No I won't, and if you do this they'll know it's you. Plus, without me, Gabby won't be happy, and don't you want to see her happy?" He paused for a moment, but was quick to snap out of it.

"I'm gonna make her happy." He said while wrapping his hands around my throat.

"No, wait, Hayes, what are you doing?" I asked while trying to get ahold of his wrists to make him stop. 

"Hayes, stop!" Tears streamed down my face and I was starting to feel lightheaded.

I could feel my body get weaker and weaker, until, finally everything went black

🖕🏽👮🏼🚓

These police brutality crimes got me fucked up, but I haven't had time to rant. Prepare yourself for some heat.