━ sixteen: lunettes de soleil

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

LUNETTES DE SOLEIL

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     THE FACT THAT HER mother was once the Muggle Studies teacher added to the fact that Briar easily thought of a cafe in London, and was quick to arrange everything with meeting up with Cedric. In all honesty, Briar felt nervous. She didn't know whether to class it as a date or as friends going somewhere together.

     Briar had gotten there a couple minutes early and had resolved to worrying if she had over or underdressed for it. They were going to a nice cafe in London, and then to Diagon Alley, which sat around the corner. She doubted that Cedric would've dressed up — but, in the moment, Briar was all worry and no common sense. She was wearing denim shorts, a bralette top, and her leather jacket. She figured that she wouldn't look so odd around the muggles. She hoped not, anyway.

     Cedric appeared almost right on time and smiled warmly at her. She didn't know whether to hug him, like she did with her other friends, or just say hello, but he already opened his arms to hug her. Briar hugged him. She tried not to think about how warm he was, or how he smelt nice.

     "I've never really been to any of the muggle places in London," said Cedric. The two stood outside of the cafe. "Usually, we go to Diagon Alley, and that's it. But this place looks nice — I have some muggle money, by the way, for both of us."

     "Oh, I have money, I can pay for myself," said Briar. Her eyes had widened. She slowly slipped in the frenzy of paying for herself and being a strong, independent woman. Girl. She could barely understand taxes and bills. "But, the offer's lovely. Very gentlemanly of you. I'm flattered."

     Cedric smiled. "I think this is where I say that I'm a Hufflepuff, I'm polite by nature," he said. Briar let out a laugh. "For the most part, anyway."

     "When are you not?" she said. Almost immediately, she imagined her brother's response. "Like, you're so polite and nice. I'm amazed. I haven't even heard you swear."

     Cedric grinned. "That's a fucking shame."

     Briar's mouth opened in surprise. "I'm in shock," she said. "I didn't think you would! I corrupted you! I made the cute polite one swear!"

     "I'm older than you," said Cedric. Briar nodded. "How was your birthday, by the way?"

     "Oh, it was good," she said. "Harry's staying with us, so he was there for my birthday. I was going to, uh, invite you over, but the twins are still touchy about the Quidditch match, and my parents are embarrassing. Like, they had me when they were eighteen, and they sometimes still act like they're eighteen."