12

I step into my school gym, already confused by the newly decorated pieces of the wrong decade

I step into my school gym, already confused by the newly decorated pieces of the wrong decade. "Did nobody pay attention in history class? This is the 20's not the 70's." I turn to Caroline.

"It was but Rebekah decided to do a 20's decade dance." she replies and rolls her eyes. "And you let her...?" I question.

"Just because you can boss an original around, doesn't mean the rest of us can." Caroline giggles and I throw her a look, "Not funny."

"Yes it is. Anyway, since Rebekah isn't here, it's our job now." she smiles sarcastically. I nod and let my eyes sweep around the gym.

My fingers collect a clipboard and a pen from a nearby table and I begin to check off the decor pieces that I can spot with my eyes. I trail behind Caroline and Elena, vaguely listening to their conversation as I do my task.

"So, Alaric is trying to pull himself together, why is that a bad thing?" Caroline asks Elena. "I just... I wish there was something I could do." Elena sighs while picking up a chandelier, "Where do you want me to hang this thing?"

"You know what? If Rebekah wanted to hang this monstrousity she should have shown up to do it herself." Caroline groans and snatches the object from Elena's hand and gives it to a passing by student.

I sigh, growing bored of scanning the room and plop the clipboard on a table. I make my way to Matt and Jeremy, who are currently hanging up stars on the ceiling. "I don't think you're supposed to do it like that." I critique them.

"If you're such an expert, you do it." My brother jokes and I cross my arms with a smile, "No, I think this job is for the boys."

"What are you doing?! You can't just hang them! They're supposed to trickle down." Caroline retorts, running over to us.

"Trickle, duh!" Matt laughs. My lips form upwards as I watch my brother slowly heal himself after all the crazy drama that has happened recently. All I want is for him to be happy and I think the best solution was for him to stay here.

I turn around and join the girls as they pick up more decorations from the tables. "So... who are you bringing to the dance?" Caroline asks.

Elena wraps a feather boa around her neck then furrows her eyebrows. "What do you mean? I thought the four of us were going as girl dates."

"Hm, Bonnie has a date." Caroline drops the bomb. "You're kidding." I sigh, but I'm also not surprised. I can only assume who her date is.

"Jamie called and wanted to see her so she asked him." Caroline answers, "So here's a thought, why don't you ask Stefan?"

Elena nods, smiling. "Okay."

"What what about you?" Caroline turns to me and Elena wraps the feather boa around me. "What about me?"

"Who will you bring to the dance? Don't tell me it's Satan-Klaus." Caroline says and I let out a laugh. "Don't worry, he's old history now." I reply back, fighting the urge to frown.