six

-she takes all the attention and I'm forgotten once again-

If it were truly up to Paisley, her birthday would be spent with a bit of alcohol in an emptied out version of her living room, multitudes of pillows and blankets spread around as they got drunk and watched videos of dogs.

Obviously that wasn't the case because Calum was now in her bathroom and helping the small girl shove her thighs into a pair of spandex. Paisley hadn't gotten dressed up in a long, long time and this was rough on her.

Her makeup and hair was done, and now they were waiting for the outfit. They didn't want to mess it up with foundation or hairspray because sadly it had happened way too many times before.

"You look amazing," Calum finally said, once the two had stopped gasping from the effort they had to put in. Paisley's spandex had sadly been from her freshman year of high school before she had gained twenty pounds and breaking them out again had been hell.

"I'm only wearing spandex, you asshole," Paisley said, rolling her eyes.

Calum shrugged his shoulders and waited for Paisley to actually put on the dress she was supposed to wear. The brown boy zipped up the red material and waited for her to turn around and face him.

"You're gorgeous, Paisley," Calum said smiling widely and hugging the girl in front of him. Kara and he had gone out shopping two days prior and surprised their friend with the dress.

She thanked him and the two started shutting everything down, so that they could make their way to the party where all their friends would be.

***

Paisley was dancing against a few of her friends, all of them a bit buzzed and tipsy but not exactly drunk. The girl knew that she'd be drunk by the end of the night.

"C'mon babe!" Calum said. He had been one of the friends dancing with her and he grabbed her hand, dragging her over to the table they had rented. Kara, Michael and Ashton followed and they were soon gathering around the cake they had bought. It was a small cheap cake from the local grocery store but Paisley loved it.

Luke and Valentina were already sitting the booth and paisley was shoved in, being squished against her blonde best friend and Kara. The group of friends crowded into the booth as they prepared to sing Happy Birthday to their friend.

Luke and Valentina didn't even seem to acknowledge the group as they continued talking.

Calum grabbed the lighter out of his back pocket and lit the four candles that were sitting on the cake. They had originally brought more but the latter mentioned had accidentally sat on them and broke most. Paisley was excited. She was the last in the group to turn twenty, being almost a year younger than everyone else. Having skipped a grade had helped her when she met Luke for the first time.

Paisley smiled widely, the candle light illuminating her face as the group broke out into song, wishing her a happy birthday.

"Luke, you're being such an asshole! You don't love me!" an obnoxious voice broke the chorus of melodious song and made the group halt in their singing. The girl motioned for everyone to get out of the booth so that she could get out and Luke sadly followed behind, knowing things would be worse if he didn't try to fix everything.

"Wait! Valentina come back! I didn't even say anything bad! I just told you that we had to be quiet and sing for Paisley!" Luke yelled out after his girlfriend, starting to chase after her as she disappeared into the crowd.

It was so awkward and so tense now that their two friends had left and it was even worse that no one tried to finish the song.

"Happy birthday to me," Paisley muttered, rolling her eyes and blowing out the candles.

Of all days, Valentina had to do something that would ruin Paisley's birthday in some way. It wasn't major but it definitely just ruined the whole night. Luke had promised her that he'd spend the night at her apartment like they did every year. It hasn't changed in eight years but the small girl knew that it definitely did now.

***

I haven't updated anything in forever lmao

-El