Chapter Forty Nine: Excuse The Interruptions

**

November 5th, 2002

I heard Gloria yelling at my father in his study. It was late, or early actually—around 1 in the morning. The house was dark and quiet except for the bright and loud part of the place where they were yelling at.

I went downstairs to try and hear exactly what they were yelling about.

"You just don't get it, Mr. Harrison! There are a bunch of people who live in those houses and you building over there is gonna leave them homeless!"

Right. My father's company's new construction project. Harrison Inc. has signed off on a new real estate deal that will wipe out the homes in some part of L.A. to build fancy condominiums. I don't agree with it, but Gloria is more opposed to the idea than I am; she, as well as her family, lives in that area.

"You are in no position to question anything I do. The last time I checked, you're a housekeeper, not a financial advisor. I would suggest you keep your mouth shut about this before you're out of a job."

"Sir, I've been working for you for many years and I have done nothing to upset you this whole time. But if you do this, my friends, my family, will have nowhere to go! I'm not taking them back to the projects!"

"Then don't, Gloria."

"That's all I can afford."

"Then I suggest you have a conversation with your husband before your family receives the official notice. I would think that you would be thankful that I'm giving you this heads up six months before everyone else."

"I ain't got a husband! It's just me, my daughter and my son. I can barely make ends meet where we are and—"

"That isn't my problem, Gloria. I'm not going to back out of a multimillion dollar deal because of your individual inability to find somewhere to go that is within your 'standards.' I'm sorry."

"You're not sorry. You're never sorry! My family's about to be put out on the streets and all you can say is 'sorry.' After all I've done for you? H-how would you feel if your children found out about the type of man you are?"

"They know the type of man I am, Gloria."

"No they don't. Loretta and I know things, Mr. Harrison. All those times we've cleaned your study for you and you were careless enough to leave things lying around that shouldn't have been."

And then Gloria said something to him, but it was so low that I couldn't understand what she said. But after that, it was quiet. Really quiet.

My dad said: "You have no proof. That is mere hearsay. Allegations."

"Loretta and I got the proof. We got it hidden in a secret place. I'll go to the TV stations. I'll go to the newspapers and all other places. I ain't a lawyer or nothing, but I sure know that what you did and what you've been doing is illegal."

"I swear on my mother's rotting grave, if you dare open your incompetent, dimwitted mouth you will regret ever doing so! I will not hesitate taking Sebastian away from you!"

And then she said—

"Wow, you're here already. Do you ever take a break?"

I quickly slam the journal shut when I hear Sarah's voice and stuff it into my purse. She walks into the library with two cups of coffee in her hands. I assume one of them is for me, and I smile.

"For me?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, I can be a nice person when I feel like it. Black with two sugars, right?"