Chapter 17: A Day With Chase Peterson - Part 1

I looked at them, making my stomach churn in nervousness. I faked a laugh and cleared my throat. They raised their eyebrow at my sudden actions and I chuckled awkwardly while looking at them again uneasily.

I played the 'I-don't-know-what-you're-talking-about' card and said, "What are you talking about?"

They raised their eyebrow and Aiden said, "We're talking about why you lied to us."

Letting out an uneasy chuckle, I said, "Me? Lying to you?" I paused and scoffed. "I could never lie to you even if I tried."

This time, Zyljan was the only one who looked at me with raised eyebrow while Aiden just gave me a look that clearly says, 'I-don't-believe-you-at-all'.

"Oh, really?" Zyljan started. "Then you wouldn't mind explaining to us why you lied to us about Megan and Xander yesterday, and why you called Aiden crying a year and a half ago, right?"

I froze on my spot and looked at them, clearly gobsmacked. Their question clearly caught me off guard. I didn't know Aiden told Zyljan about yesterday and that call I gave him! I didn't even know that he knew I was lying! If he knew I was lying, then the others must have known too. Am I really that bad of a liar?

And here I am, thinking I was an incredible liar.

"I, um, I. . ." I stuttered and they raised their eyebrow.

Shit! Why did I stutter?! I never stutter when I'm lying, so why am I stuttering now?

"I, um. . ." I started and was about to make up another lie, when Chef Ronald barged in on us, and I was beyond pleased. If this was on any other occasion, I would've glared at him. But now? He just saved my life!

I should really tell mom and dad to give this man a raise.

"Miss Amber, Mister Aiden, Mister Zyljan, " He greeted while nodding at each of us. "Breakfast's ready."

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and smiled gratefully at him.

"Alright, we'll be there." He smiled and nodded while going back inside.

I started to stand up and was about to make my way inside, when a hand caught hold of my wrist.

I looked at the hand and grazed my sight upwards to look at the person who held a tight grip on my wrist.

"We're still not done, Amber." Aiden stated, still not letting go of my wrist.

"There's nothing to talk about, Aiden, and you know that." I said and snatched my wrist away from him.

"You damn well know, there is!" Zyljan snapped and stood up while glaring at me.

I glared back at him, and said, "No, there isn't! And for the record, I am not lying about anything!"

"Then why are you suddenly all so defensive?" Aiden was now the one who said this and I threw daggers at him.

"I am not getting—" I stopped myself and heaved in a big breath, extending it deeply and loudly afterwards. "Look, just drop it, okay?"

Aiden glared at me and said, "We are not dropping it, Eleanor!"

I was frozen in my spot and I hid all shockness that was about to show. He just called me Eleanor! He never calls me Eleanor unless he's beyond pissed! He just used my second name, for God's sake!

I laughed bitterly and said, "Yes, we are!"

"We aren't!" Aiden snapped and I sent him daggers.

"Yes we are! Now drop it!" And with that said, I walked back inside, still pissed as hell.