Chapter Fourteen

Top Commenter: LexiSkye_

Word Count: 1823

~Mara

My eyes drift open slowly.

A throbbing pain in my temples forces them closed again. I let myself get drunk...How could I help it when Landon was drinking, and since he is still uneasy about me, I tried my best to fit in.

Last night we talked. A lot. But the problem is that I hardly remember what happened. Did I spill Kaden's plan to them on accident? I hope I didn't say anything to ruin the plot. Perhaps Kaden visited me yesterday. He would have been mad to see me drunk though.

Peeling the covers off my body, I drag myself from the bed. Getting drunk is a sin, which I just committed. I should feel ashamed right now, but not an ounce of it graced my body. The only thing I could feel was pain, and remnants of stupidity.

When I clamber into the shower, I notice something. Stained dirt covers my palms, making me frown. What had I been convinced to do last night? Or maybe I did this myself.

Shaking my head, I quickly wash it off.

When I wander into the kitchen a few minutes later, I'm faced with an elated look Althea. She sits at the dining table, breakfast in front of her. She even stands when she sees me.

"Are you ready for our plan to commence?" She asks. I frown, drawing a blank. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Landon in the kitchen, stirring something on the stove. Althea seems to notice my confused expression.

"You must have got pretty drunk last night. After three small drinks..." She breaks off. I blush. The problem with being part of the Purity Pack, is that I've never been allowed to drink. The second Landon offered me one, I took it nervously. After the first, the others fell behind quickly.

But she's right. I can hardly remember much from last night. "What was our plan again?"

"We are sending you home!"

For a moment I got excited. Back to the Purity Pack? Then I realised, that she meant to the Freedom Pack. I wish lying wasn't so difficult...

"Oh...When?"

Althea glanced over her shoulder. "Landon can drive you there tomorrow morning. It will take a couple hours."

Perhaps I should have felt disappointed, but then a devious thought came to mind. If they took me there, Kaden wouldn't be able to find me, right? I have heard that the place is the largest Pack, and so desolate, it is easy to get lost there. If I disappeared, Kaden wouldn't think twice about looking there for me.

"Sounds good," I say. Althea smiles, and Landon wanders over holding a bowl of oatmeal. We eat in silence. It is obvious Landon is still unsure about me, by the way he keeps glancing up at me with a suspicious look on his face. Althea, on the other hand, eats happily in my presence.

Althea takes my plate to the kitchen once I had finished, and Landon follows. I watch curiously at the two of them. He wraps his arms around her from behind, resting his head on her shoulder. She turns her head, and kisses him softly. The sight tugs at my heart.

I can only wonder if I will ever find love like that.

💖••💖

It was past noon when Althea asked me if I would accompany her into the woods for a walk. I agreed, wanting to clear my head before I had to see Kaden tonight. I'm not the best liar, so hopefully he won't see through my façade.