05 | anticipate

C H A P T E R 5 | K A T I E

I froze as soon as I heard my name slip from Dean's lips.

The last time I'd seen him he'd been experiencing difficulty with his vision, though after returning home, I'd not thought to check in on the progress of his healing. It was evident that, while I highly suspected his sight was not fully back to normal, he'd definitely gained a fraction of it back.

It seemed as though, in that moment, everyone's eyes were on me as I let the door swing shut behind me.

"So you do know her?" the little girl sitting beside Dean on the bed asked, flitting her gaze questioningly between the two of us.

I finally gained the courage to meet Dean's squinted gaze, and even in their damaged state, I could feel his eyes piercing right through me.

"Yeah..." Dean trailed slowly, though his facial expression was blank as he continued, "We met the night of the accident."

The air in the room became heavier as I sucked in a breath, receiving curious looks from Dean's parents as no one sought to reply.

Though, as the seconds ticked by, it was Claudia, with full professionalism, who broke the silence with an encouraging smile. "How about we complete this check-up?" she asked, directing her words towards Dean, "Are you hungry?"

"Starving," Dean said.

Claudia nodded, turning back to me as she hovered at his bedside, nodding towards the door. "Do you mind grabbing his dinner while I check his vitals?" she asked, though the look she was sending me was clear. It said 'I'm giving you a chance to duck out for a few minutes, so take it.'

"Sure," I stuttered, and while I tried to play it cool, I'm sure everyone in the room realized that, as I turned on my heel, my pace was rushed.

Stepping out into the hall, I took a left at the end of the hallway before halting my steps and leaning back against the wall of the empty corridor. The silence seemed somehow suffocating in a way, as the hustle and bustle of the rest of the hospital ceased to exist and my thoughts became louder.

Just yesterday I'd experienced the unthinkable as I stepped into Dean's room to see him lying on the bed. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what to think, but after hearing what he'd gone through, I'd told myself that I wouldn't get involved. That I'd keep it professional – act as his nurse and nothing more.

I certainly hadn't expected to show up to work today and for him to be able to see me. Hearing my name had worried me, but at the same time, it had also sent a brief spark of happiness through me, knowing that the accident hadn't completely messed with his memory.

But that wasn't something I could dwell on at the moment, and as I continued my way towards the cafeteria, there was a new purpose to my step. My first priority was to do my job, but maybe, when I found the time, and the courage, I'd stop by Dean's room as a friend. He may not need the extra support, but I'd be there to offer it if the need arose.

Despite my new found determination, I still took my time returning to Dean's room once I collected his meal. Pushing open the door to his room, I immediately felt the underlying awkwardness in the atmosphere. The curious eyes of his family members followed me as I stepped up to Dean's bedside, my head ducked in shyness as Claudia finished up his check-up.

I wanted to say something – anything – as I situated the tray of food on Dean's lap, but his facial features were immensely impassive, betraying no clues as to what he was thinking. Staying silent, I could feel the weight of his gaze as I turned and followed Claudia out of the room.