Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I walked into the room, trying not to look to my left. I could feel his eyes burning into my back as I walked passed his desk and sat in my seat next to the window. I ran my fingers through my hair and crossed my arms to cover my chest, not taking my eyes off of the tree outside of the window. Chloe, who was sitting in front of me, was tapping her pen on the side of her desk, staring ahead at the board.

I heard Mr. Taylor get up from the chair at his desk and walk to the front of the classroom. I looked from the window to my desk and kept my head down as he scanned the classroom. The bell rang loudly, signaling that class had officially started, and I jumped in my seat.

"Alright everyone," Mr. Taylor announced. "Time for your first assignment. We're going to be reading a novel."

Three-fourths of the class groaned. I, however, did not. I enjoyed reading quite a bit, take away the fact that I was very picky about what to read. Taking the risk, I finally looked up to where Mr. Taylor was at the front of the classroom.

"What book?" I hadn't realized I had opened my mouth until it was too late. Twenty pairs of eyes, including Mr. Taylor's, turned and stared at me. Mr. Taylor raised his eyebrows, almost as if he was impressed I would even bother to ask such a question.

"We will be reading 'The Lord of the Flies," he answered me. I stared at him, wondering why he wasn't looking away from me. One kid raised his hand, and we finally broke eye contact. He looked at the kid and nodded at him. "Yes?"

"How long will we be on this book?"

"A few weeks," he answered.

Hand after hand was raised, asking questions about the book and anything relating to it. Once there were no more questions, Mr. Taylor picked up a brown cardboard box from behind his desk and placed it on the stool at the front of the classroom. He opened it and took out the first book. "Who would like to help me pass them out?" he asked the class.

I looked around the classroom as hands shot up, mostly girls' hands. He looked around the classroom with narrowed eyes. I lowered my head and stared at my desk, desperately not wanting to. I finally felt his eyes land on me and stiffened.

"Avery," he decided. My head shot up, and I knew my face showed nothing but shock and disbelief.  I heard the other girls' sighs of frustration, then I felt some death glares burning into me. "Will you help me?"

I was gaping, and I knew I looked stupid just sitting there. "I didn't even raise my hand."

"Yes, well, I want you to help me. You're the only one who was interested in what book we were going to be reading," he said. "Now come on."

Slowly but surely I got up and walked to the front of the classroom. He handed me a pile of six or seven books and I took them. I went down one of the isles, handing each person a book. I went back and he handed me another pile. By accident, my hand laid on top of his, and I withdrew it quickly. He stared at me for a moment, but I took the books from him and turned back around, continuing to pass out the books.

"Now, these books are for you to keep. They were fifty cents online, so the school now has more copies than you would think," he said. A few of the students snickered, and others smiled at each other. "So you may keep these. We're going to be highlighting in them and such. Take good care of them and bring them to class every day."

"Okay," the class said in unison. I passed out the last of the books to the students, but then realized I didn't take one for myself. Walking back to the front of the classroom, I reached into the cardboard box and grabbed a book. I turned around to walk back to my seat, but my foot caught on the leg of the desk in front of me. I stumbled and the book went flying, landing in the back. My head bashed on the desk next to me and I fell to the ground.

"Avery!" I heard Chloe shout. I laid on the cold ground, looking up at the blurry, white ceiling. I heard a few gasps, and a few snickers. Chloe's worried face came into view and I blinked.

"Avery," I heard a deep, familiar voice say. "Avery, are you okay?"

"I..." I mumbled. I tried to sit up, but my head was pounding so hard I had to lay back down. I felt warm, strong arms go under my knees and back, then lift me off the ground. I looked up to the person who had picked me up and blinked, trying to clear my vision.

"Chloe, watch the class. I'm taking her to the nurse," I heard Mr. Taylor's voice say urgently.

"Okay," Chloe said worriedly. Mr. Taylor's face finally came into view as I looked up. His face was inches from mine, but I felt too dizzy to even think about trying to get away. My head rested on his shoulder and I closed my eyes, desperately wanting the pounding in my head to stop. I couldn't help myself from admitting to myself he smelled good. The scent of aftershave, with a hint of peppermint filled my nostrils. It was... relaxing. He carried me out the door and down the hall, then down the steps to the first floor. I groaned at every step he took.

"Avery, can you hear me?" I heard him ask gently. I nodded slightly, not attempting to speak. "We're almost to the nurse's. Hang in there."

I closed my eyes once more and felt exhausted all of a sudden. My breathing slowed and I was slowly drifting into the darkness. I heard him open the door to the nurse's, followed by a startled gasp.

"Put her over here," she said frantically. "What happened?"

"She tripped and hit her head on a desk," Mr. Taylor explained, laying me on one of the beds in the corner. As soon as he released me from his embrace, I felt cold. I thought about reaching for him, but mentally slapped myself. Why the hell would I want to reach for him? I'm trying to avoid him! But something in me longed for Mr. Taylor's embrace once more. Something in me wanted him to keep me warm. I felt safe while he held me against him. I would've mentally slapped myself again, but the pounding in my head became worse, and I didn't see the need for it.

"Oh, good heavens! Her head!" I heard the nurse say, pressing some paper towels to my head. I had never really gone to the nurse in the four years I've been here, so I didn't even know her name. But what was wrong with my head?

"Janet, hold these paper towels to her head!" I heard her exclaim. The pressure of her hands left for a split second, then was replaced by another set of hands. I tried to open my eyes, but it hurt too much. The lights shining in my eyes made everything just as worse. "Stay with her, Mr. Taylor. Janet, hold those paper towels there. I need to get some bandages."

I heard the sound of a chair dragging on the floor towards me, and I assumed it was Mr. Taylor. I heard him exhale as he sat down next to me. His scent drifted into my nostrils once more, and my heart skipped a beat. He did smell nice. "Avery?" he asked in a soft voice.

I opened my eyes a little. "What happened?"

"You fell and hit your head," he told me.

"I did?"

He nodded. His face was close enough to mine that I felt his breath on my face. It smelled like spearmint...

"Avery?" he asked. His voice got softer and my eyes closed again. I felt like sleeping. "Avery?"

I heard the panic in his voice, but I didn't care. All I wanted to do was sleep. My breathing got slow and heavy, and I was slipping into darkness.

"Mrs. Harrison!" I heard Mr. Taylor shouted. So that was her name? That was my last thought before I finally lost consciousness.