Chapter 37

10 Years Later

Cam POV

Wow, she was shaking and her heart was beating way too fast. I didn't know it would be like this. To be honest, I expected this to be an exciting time for her. To do what a woman usually does when they are expecting and adopting.

Preparing.

She was preparing but, It wasn't the happy joyful feeling more nervous. More concerned and with the weeks leading up to this day, it grew. I didn't try to push her though, I'm sure every woman who are in the situation of adopting have these feelings.

I asked her over and over if she was sure about this. The thought of a child together grew very quickly on me. Having a family became everything but, I didn't want it without her. I could wait if she needed more time.

She reassured me she was ready though, at least would be once she got the hang of it. She was happy but definitely nervous. It was a big step for us, a new chapter. I knew she would be great though. It was me that would be the problem.

Too much cursing and some say, I'm not the nicest person to be around sometimes. That was bullshit though. I'm a great person.

I smiled looking over to her again. All I could do was hold her hand and squeeze it. She finally looked at me and smiled back.

"Ready?" I asked and she nodded as we got to to the doors. I nodded opening the door letting her walk in first. She took a few steps in the suddenly froze spinning to me in full panic mode. I stopped on my toes so close to crashing into her.

"Maybe we should wait or something. I just - I -" she stopped taking a deep breath looking down then around unsure. She bit her lip thinking of what to say but nothing came out and it was starting to frustrate her.

I cupped her head instantly kissing her head then pulling away to look her in her eyes "Hey, everything will be okay. I know you've been scared but we can do this. We're here. Through months of all this, we are here. The process was long but it was all worth it. We are going to have a little girl" I said grabbing her hands.

She met this five-year-old girl one of the times we came here and I could see she was the one. Sadly her parents were not fit to raise her and somehow she got put in the system. I remember she couldn't stop talking about her. The joy she had talking about this girl was already like a proud parent.

"W-what if she doesn't like us? She seems happy now but what if I fuck up and she doesn -" "The way you guys interact together is proof enough that she does. Do you see the way she gets when we come to visit? It honestly makes my heart swell. I love it"

"Carter there's no book on how to be the perfect parent, its learn as you go. All we can do is do our best. You are the strict parent and I'll be the fun chill one" "Sound like my parent" She muttered chuckling as I laughed nodding.

"And look how you came out, perfect. We can do this together. I got your back, you got mines" I grabbed her hand bringing it up to my lips. "And we don't even have to tell her till she's old enough maybe high school about us" I explained and she nodded.

"The hottest milf ever" I joked making her laugh then get on her toes to press her lips to mine.

"Let's go get our daughter"

We walked in the room and spotted Riley playing in the corner alone. She tended to be alone a lot but, she didn't seem to be bothered by it. She seemed to always enjoy herself but, enjoyed it even more when we visited.

"Carter, Cameron!" She said getting up happy. Carter's heart fluttered as she ran to us and the next instant she was in her arms. Carter's face brightened as she held her.