The Bathroom Stall|Note Sixty-Nine

Note Sixty-Nine

As you can see from the cake pop display, cellular respiration goes through a countless number of steps that help the organism to produce roughly 36 ATP for energy and carbon dioxide, which in humans, exits through diffusion in the lungs and is exhaled.

"Well, I say that our project on cellular respiration was a success." I said cheerfully, giving Tucker a high five as we took our seats. Folding my notecard, which had all the information presented written on, I tucked it into my back pocket and smiled at Tucker.

"Thank god that was over." Tucker whispered back to me, setting our display on the table, as Mr. Rischling gave a general overview of what to expect for the rest of the week. "I've been eyeing these cake pops for a week. Can I finally eat one?"

I scrunched my nose and watched as Tucker carefully took off an oxygen cake pop. "Are you sure you want to eat that? I bet it's stale and nasty."

"YOLO, Cora, YOLO."

"-and after the slideshow on anabolic respiration, we'll be taking our first test. How's the Monday after Homecoming? Sound good? Okay, class dismissed!"

With a groan, the whole class swiftly exited the biology room, complaining about the upcoming test. I stayed behind to help Tucker carry our brownie display.

Just as we exited Mr. Rischling's room, Terrence appeared next to the door, startling me into almost dropping my half of glucose. With a small yelp, I stopped short of nearly running into him. "You scared me."

Terrence ran a hand through his hair, giving Tucker a glare. "Hi Cora. How are you?"

Looking up at Tucker, whose jaw was clenched tightly, I looked between the two guys. "I'm good, Terrence. But I Really got to get to class. Can't be late to Calculus."

Before I could make an escape, Terrence grabbed my arm, "Are you going to Homecoming?"

"Yes. I am in fact. Why do you care?" I asked, slightly irritated at how annoying Terrence was being.

"I just wanted to know. You going with Sam?"

"No, she's not going with Sam." Tucker responded for me, his voice hard and neutral. "Any other questions?"

Terrence wheeled to look at him, then returned his gaze to me. "Do not tell me you're going with this kid here, Cora."

I glared at Terrence, half wanting to punch him in the face for his incredulous, sneering expression. "It's not like it's any of your business, Terrence. Where's Lauren?"

"Who?" He asked, returning his stare to Tucker.

I rolled my eyes at how typical he was being right now. "Lauren. Your biology partner. Your Homecoming date. The girl you snog with every day in biology."

"I don't know."

"Listen, you need to back off. Like Cora said, she needs to being getting to Calculus 10, okay?" Tucker said, resting a hand on my back and trying to steer me away from a glaring Terrence.

"Fine." Terrence replied between clenched teeth. "I'm glad to talk to you, Cora. And I'm happy you're not going with Sam. I'll see you at the dance maybe?"

Fat chance.