Chapter 26: Beer Bottle

This chapter has some graphic descriptions of abuse and the aftermath of such actions. Please read at your own discretion. Perfectly acceptable to skip this chapter of you feel it be necessary.

Lacey's POV
Earlier that day

"Hey, babe, I'm home." Steve called as he entered the house. I quickly wrapped up the remaining bandage around the bruise on my arm that had now swollen up throughout the week. I meant to go in and get it checked, but I just couldn't find the time with work and everything going on.

"I'm upstairs." I called from the bathroom as I made my way into our bedroom. I could hear his heavy steps and somehow, I knew he must have been drinking again. My suspicions were confirmed when he stumbled into the bedroom after me. "Baby, we talked about this." I whispered quietly, taking in his drunken state as I sat down on the bed. My arm was covered by the long sleeve shirt I was wearing, but the throbbing sensation was almost too much for me to handle.

"I only had a drink." He replied, his words slurring as he dropped his book bag on the floor against the wall and opened another bottle of beer he must have grabbed from the fridge.

"Please, just lay down, let me make you something to eat. You don't need to drink, baby." I cooed, standing up slowly to reach for the bottle. He bang to hand it to me but stopped suddenly.

"What day is it?" He asked.

"It's Friday." I replied.

"Wasn't it our weekend to have Nick?"

"Y-Yes, but he's at the school's festival."

"So?" Steve demanded, his temper starting to flare again. "We could have taken him."

"H-He wanted to be with his father." I replied, my heart starting to quicken in pace as he took another drink from the bottle. I wasn't sure how to explain to him, I no longer felt comfortable with a Nick and him being together. I could handle Steve's temper, but I'd never put Nick in any harms way.

"WE are his family now!" He bellowed, getting closer to the bottom of the bottle as he continued to drink the liquid.

"I-I just don't t-think- in y-your state-"

"That's right! You just don't think!" He cut me off, finishing the bottle before tossing it on the floor. He advanced towards me as I backed up until the back of my knees hit the edge of the mattress.

"P-please, Steve, baby." I whispered, my voice shaky from fear as the smell of alcohol hit my senses. His hand came out and delivered the first slap to the side of my cheek as my body stumbled back a bit. I caught myself, but uncontrollable tears started to stream down as my entire left face burned. He retracted his arm before it shot out, and a right hook connected with my lip, send me back into the bed.

Before I could fall back, I felt him wrap his fingers around my throat, holding me in an upright position. My fingers instantly went to his hand to try and pull them off me, just he just gripped me tighter. Blood had began to spill from my lip and onto his hand.

"You're mine. That child is mine. This family is mine." He growled, lifting my body up by my neck before slamming me back into the mattress. My arm felt like it was on fire, but I couldn't focus on that due to the whiplash from the force. My hands were still on his, trying to get him to loosen his grip as he tightened his hold. I could feel his nails digging into my skin as my oxygen supply began to deteriorate.

"P-pleas- Ste-ve." I choked, he pushed me further into the bed.

"I'm going to teach you to respect me." He growled, lifting me up once again, his grip never loosening up as I felt the room begin to spin. "Understand who's in charge here. You don't get to decide shit." He whispered into my ear, causing fear to run through me as he lifted me higher before throwing my body against the wall beside the doorframe.

I felt impact instantly. My body crippled with pain from the feeling of my bones shifting. I was positive something must have broken from the crack I heard. The wall itself caved in from how hard he had thrown me as my leg fell against the glass beer bottle he had tossed on the floor earlier. He bent down next to me, gripping my face in his sweaty hands while his fingers dug into the swollen skin, making more tears fall. I cried out from the pain.

"You're going to fight for full custody and we'll raise Nick together." He whispered. Fear raced through me.

I wasn't afraid of what would happen to me, but I would never let a Nick near him. He'd have to kill me first. Anger boiled through me as my fingers wound their way around the neck of the beer bottle.

"If you don't, I'll just take Nick myself." He whispered, the smell of alcohol filling my lungs as a crooked sinister smile graced his lips. Without a second thought, my good arm whipped the bottle out from underneath me and I smashed the glass against the side of his temple. His body fell beside me, instantly knocking him out. "Shit." I sighed, holing onto my side with my good arm as I leaned against the wall. I used it as a surface to shimmy by body up from before stumbling to my bedside table to grab the keys for my car. I glanced down at Steve's unconscious body for the last time before leaving the bedroom. As I slowly stumbled down the stairs, I passed by the window near the entrance of the door and couldn't recognize the person looking back at me.

My bottom lip was swollen to at least three times the size of the top lip. My whole left size had swelled up from the powerful slap, already starting to bruise. My hands reached over for the large hoodie that was hung as I carefully attempted to pull it over me. Instantly, pain shot through my side as I tried to slide my bad arm through it. I cried out in pain. I could hear Steve's moans from upstairs and knew he was regaining consciousness, I didn't have much time left. I quickly pulled the hoodie over, ignoring the excruciating pain as I pulled the door open and walked out into the rainy, cold streets.

~

I pulled up at Aria's place shortly after. I had grabbed the address from Chris for emergencies. The house looked much better from the last time I had passed through here, Everything looked much more homey. I pulled myself out from the car, silently thanking the gods that the sweatshirt was dark enough to cover up the blood as I flipped my hoodie up.

I stumbled up the stairs, trying not to fall from their uneven wobbliness before knocking on the door. Shortly after, I heard the lock click and the door was pulled back to reveal Aria in casual house attire as her eyes grew large.

"Lacey?" She asked, taking in my appearance as my body crippled to the side slightly. "What happened?"

"C-Can you help me?" I croaked out, my voice rough from how tight Steve had held me. I tried to take a step forward but completely lost my footing as I fell, collapsing into her body.