Truth

Aubry's POV-

I was kicking myself for being so ridiculous. Brandon was just trying to be funny, yet I had to ruin it by freaking out. I needed to get myself under control. My anxiety was getting the best of me and my panic attacks were doing nothing to help me at all. Eventually, they'd give me away if I kept it up the way I was going.

I was still shaking from the anxiety as I turned down Main Street. It was a Tuesday night, so it wasn't very busy at all downtown. I trekked down the street slowly as I took in the scenes around me. Most of the shops were closed, hardly any cars were in the streets, and I was the only one walking in the town square. I made my way to the very center of town, the old historic courthouse was positioned there quaintly.

I spotted one of the city-provided benches that were scattered around the historic landmark. I collapsed down un gracefully into the seat feeling like I couldn't take any more steps. It was mid-November and the chilliness was seeping through my thin hoodie. It wasn't too bad yet, but I knew that it was coming... winter always would.

I watched the leaves fall in the autumn breeze and found myself sagging down in exhaustion. My body was on fire and I let out a whimper as I laid myself down across the bench. I was tired, hurt, and hungry. What else could go wrong?

As if on cue, thunder rang in the sky and I laughed audibly. It was as if I was at the bud to all of God's cruel jokes. I couldn't be too mad though, I really probably deserved it. This was just karma coming back to me.

I closed my eyes and drifted off into a half sleep. I was awake enough to still be aware of what was going on around me, but asleep enough for it to almost count as sleep. Not to mention, the beginning of the cold sprinkles of rain started not too long after I finally got comfortable enough to rest. So, that surely kept me slightly awake.

I was unaware of how long I stayed like that before I heard footsteps approaching me from behind me. My eyes shot open quickly.

"Mmm, little girl, you look almost good enough to eat." The man said trying to grab me. I forced myself up and got myself out of his drunken reach quickly. "Oh come on, don't be like that, little one," he slurred. "I can give you a place to stay..." He bribed. He squinted at me for a moment and looked at me intensely. "Jenny?" He asked with his head tilted.

"My mother," I answered for him before he thought that I was my mother and tried something on me.

"Your Jenny's and Frank's little girl?"

I just gave him a leery look. He looked familiar, and that was not a good sign.

"You're the one that Sunny is always talking about, aren't you?"

"That's probably my sister you're speaking about, not me." I tried to say to get me out of his head.

"No, no. Frank was always the one goin' on about Kelsey, the good one. Sunny, however, always talked about the little one... about how you were the fighter. The one that was thrilling and unpredictable." He grinned sinisterly at me and started to come forward reaching out for me. "I can't wait to find out what he means."

I panicked. I wasn't sure what to do, so lying through my teeth seemed to be the only thing that I could come up with. "You know, if you touch me Demetri will send men after you and kill you."

"Y-You're lying." He stuttered with his wicked smile faltering.

"I've been protected by Demetri for years. He won't hesitate to blow your brains out for just thinking of messing with one of his wards."

His mouth dropped open and he backed away from me while shaking. "S-sorry!"

"If I ever see you coming at anyone in this way ever again, I'll surely tell Demetri about this. Got it?" I said in a threatening tone.

He nodded silently.

I quickly took off away from him. I was glad he bought my story. I was in no shape to take him on or run away from a drunken pervert.

I walked around aimlessly. The rain had picked up as I walked and pelted me with cold water. A bank sign flashed with three-thirty AM, and I groaned aloud. I just wanted some sleep. I wanted some rest. I honestly would have been fine with death at that point, if that meant that I could have some uninterrupted sleep!

I found myself staring at the big warehouse-like building after a while. I hadn't meant to go there, but I knew that I was eventually gong to have to end up there before five-thirty anyways. So what, I was a couple hours early... at least I wasn't late

I leisurely strolled up to the door and sat down on the concrete right in front of it. I stayed hunched up in a small ball, much to my rib's dismay, because of the cold rain that was continuously pelting me. It was like ice on my skin. Why couldn't there at least have been a small cover above the door?

I breathed out deeply as I sat there and tried not to think about my life too hard. I tried not to let myself get sucked too deeply into my dark thoughts, but that was hard to do when I was in the situation that I was in. I was in so much pain... emotionally, mentally, and especially physically.

My sides and back were so injured that I couldn't even breathe without some sort of extreme pain radiating through them. I couldn't do the one simple thing I needed to do to just exist without wanting to cry constantly. I let out a whimpered sob as I moaned in pain and glaringly painfully lowered myself into a fetal position on the pavement underneath me. I laid there pitifully as I cried to myself.

I hated everything... I hated the town that I had grown up in. I hated the weather that God apparently loved to mock me with. I hated the pain that I had brought upon myself. I hated my life... every single bit of it. Why had I even begged Demetri to spare me? If I hadn't of argued or made him feel bad for me, then I wouldn't have had to deal with the painful existence that I was left with. I would have been at peace, finally at peace.

I laid there throwing myself a pity party in the rain while also trying to get some sort of sleep for what seemed like days. That's when I finally heard a car door slam shut. I didn't even bother looking up when I heard it... I honestly didn't even care who it was that was coming up, I had even hoped that it was death there to take me away. Instead, though, I heard familiar voices carrying to me as they came closer to the door.

I finally let myself sit up when they were close enough for me to clearly understand the conversation that they were having. I did so slowly, very slowly, and I had to hold my breath in order for me to not scream out in pain. My sides were getting worse and worse as time went on, right along with the thoughts in my head.

"How long have you been here?" Aiden asked as he unlocked the door behind me.

He reached his hand down to help me up, but the door fell open behind me. I found myself laid out in the doorway trying not to move as the pain raced through my body from my sudden jerky movements.

"Aubry? Are you okay? Sorry, the latch is broken." Brandon said as he held the door open so it didn't close on me.

I sighed and mustered all of my strength to get up. I stood up and breathed out little puffs of breath as both boys looked at me, though they could barely see me due to the darkness of the unlit gym and the still-dark sky.

"Oh um... not long," I lied, finally answering Aiden's question as Brandon shut the door to the gym.

The dark engulfed us all as the lights were off in the gym. Aiden reached over and flipped the lights on. The lights hurt my eyes and I closed them, but I heard both boys inhale deeply as I could feel their eyes on my. I knew I must have looked messed up from my awful night.

I reopened my eyes and looked at Aiden who was staring at me. He raised an eyebrow at me and shook his head. "...right, not long," he said in disbelief and walked away from me.