Chapter 3

Devin

 It’s been six months since she left.

Six, long, lonely, heart wrenching months.

I was now half the man, half the alpha. 

I’ve spent every single day since she’s left searching for her, but she seems to have disappeared off into thin air. I’ve hired the best trackers money could buy, yet every day their reports to me are the same.

No sign of her.

When I first searched the packs to find these trackers I asked for the best and was told of a she wolf who could find anyone anywhere, but like my Samantha, she hasn’t been seen nor heard from in a very long time. It has been so long some believe it is just a myth that one so talented even exists. If only I could find this wolf, I would beg her with everything in me to find my love and bring her back.

What makes the pain so much worse is that I can’t feel her. I can’t hear her thoughts. By cutting my mark she pulled her soul from mine. Now, the only connection I would feel from her would be her death. I Haven’t felt that yet but if there is ever a day I do, I will end my life shortly after. 

There was a day I thought I felt something. It was just about a week ago and for just a minute I felt extreme pain from my lower back all the way to my stomach but as fast as it came it was gone. Later that same day I felt a flutter in my chest as if a part of me was awakened, yet separate from my body. Just like the pain, it quickly disappeared. There are times during the days since when I felt that flutter again but it’s gone before I can blink. I want to know what is the cause of it but that will have to wait. Right now the most important thing to me is finding Samantha.

I still have her mark on my shoulder.

I refuse to remove it. It allows her to feel me and hopefully know how sorry I am. I want her to always feel me in hopes that one day she will return, Until then I search.

I have tried to probe her mind but wherever she is she has erected powerful walls against me. 

Most of my alpha duties have fallen on Travis’s shoulders but he hasn’t complained yet. I know he is worried about me, he has been my beta ever since I took the position of alpha over from my father 3 years ago, but he has been my friend for much longer. He knew of my secret visits with all those she wolves yet never said a word to Samantha, and always tried to convince me to stop.

I should have listened. What could have possessed me to crave the bodies of all those women, when I had perfection at home? I blame the power being the alpha gives you. All the attention and worship thrown my way was too much to resist. Instead of making me strong, the power made me weak. 

That is what I am now. Weak.

When Samantha left. She took the joy out of my life. 

It’s funny really, for someone who had random sex with strangers on a daily basis, I now feel disgusted at the thought of laying with anyone but her. If only I could have felt that way from the beginning, I would still have my love with me.

But no, this is the path I've created for myself, and it’s the path I must suffer alone. All that I live for now is to find Samantha and bring her back home where I will keep her forever. If I am lucky enough to find her, I will do everything I can to win back her heart and then I will hold it close and with care, never to damage it again.

“Alpha, the trackers have something.” the voice of my beta shook me of my thoughts. 

“What have they found?” I demanded.

“Traces of her scent, not very strong, but enough of it to know that she was there recently.” Travis explained.

“How recently?” I felt tiny stirrings of hope.

“Within the last month.” 

“Where? We must go there as soon as possible, how far away is she, are we on good terms with the pack in that area?” I started towards the door. Once there I looked questioningly at Travis who stood blocking my way.

“That’s the problem Devin, she’s closer than you think.” he stated solemnly.

I was beginning to get irritated, “I don’t see how that could be a problem. That’s probably why we missed her, we didn’t concentrate enough on the close surrounding areas assuming she would try to get far away.”

“That’s possibility, but there’s a much more plausible reason.” 

“Will you just spit it out already and stop dragging it on! I’ve waited six damn months for even a bread crumb of information and here you’ve offered me a full slice of it but insist on making me wait. What could be so problematic that we can’t charge in to search.”

Looking at me as if dreading what he was about to say he said the last thing I expected to hear, “Her scent was found south of here, but not with the half moon pack that resides there. It was found at the end of their territory, on the land and territory belonging to the…”

I cut him off with the whisper of one word, “Humans.”