Chapter Thirteen

Emotions whirled around inside me, but I was determined to keep them at bay. I had no time to be an emotional wreck right now.

"I'm sorry to lay all this on you, but you deserve to know the truth of why all of this is happening to you."

I merely nodded in response, worried that my voice would crack if I spoke. Finally I plucked the courage to open my mouth.

"So my dad is alive?" I asked.

"As far as I'm aware of, yes," Nox replied, coming over to lay a hand on my trembling shoulder. I gazed up at him though glazed eyes, biting my tongue to keep the tears from falling. If this was the true identity of my father; one who would do something so horrible to his own family, then damned I'd be if I shed a single tear over him. Nox turned, growling deeply.

"They're coming. If they ask, you found the cameras and destroyed them and I only just came back in after dropping you off. I will come for you when the time is right, don't worry."

A fleeing thought spilled through my lips; "Sam?"

Nox smiled at me for a split second.

"On our side, you needn't worry about him Emily. I will have him find you if I'm... " He let out the last word after a moment of thought, "occupied."

Now I could hear the thuds of footsteps getting closer.

"Wait, find me? Where am I being taken?" I asked, but before Nox could answer, the door flew open with a bang falling off its hinges and landed on the floor in front of us, revealing three vampire guards on the other side.

Nox assumed his commanding position, looking from the door to the guards, a frown on his face.

"What the hell is this? Get this mess cleaned up, I have places to be," he growled and stepped around the men, disappearing out of sight behind them. As soon as he was gone one vampire stepped forward and grabbed my arm, putting too much force in his grip which made me let out a cry of pain.

"What the hell are you doing?" I screamed in his ear, but he didn't flinch. I kept protesting as he dragged me out of the room and down the hallway.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked, not bothering to try and break through his iron grip, knowing it would only hurt me more than it would him. I got no answer, not even a grunt as I tried to keep in step with him.

Nox had better have a plan. It was funny though; the vampire who had killed my two best friends and then abducted me had quickly turned out to be my ally if I ever planned on making it out of here alive. 

I followed the vampires as obediently as I could and after descending the grand stairs, they led me down a scantly lit corridor, much similar in colour as all the others, but somehow the paintings seemed sadder. It chilled me to look at a dark, red painting with a naked woman on it, her body hunched over from pain or sorrow. Another painting pictured a beheaded horse on a beautiful green meadow. After that one I stopped looking and kept my head down as we walked. 

A door opened ahead of us and before I had a chance to look up to see where we were, I was thrust inside and the door shut behind me. I was engulfed in darkness. I couldn't even see my own body.
I didn't move from my place, but suddenly a soft light flickered to life ahead of me and a yellow glow lit up the far end of the room, illuminating a shadow sitting in a plush red velvet armchair. A long, pale and slender hand beckoned me forward. Cautious and alarmed my feet slowly moved me forward until I stood behind an empty chair across from the person.

A finger pointed to the vacant chair, needing no words to speak what they meant for me to do. I sat down in the chair, welcoming its softness, but my eyes never strayed from the person seated across from me.