-9

[to @KevinaOyatedor for always voting on anything I publish]

2009

"School starts in 3 weeks," Riley says as she stares out into the street

We're currently sitting at the edge of my front porch, swinging our legs back and forth.

I groan and put my head in my hands. "I know! I wish this summer would last forever. It's been so much fun."

"Me too," Riley mumbles.

"But then again, I did like pulling pranks on Mr. Pillari with you last year. So that's something to look forward to." I grin in remembrance of last year, when we replaced the fake frog on his desk with a real one. When he first came into the classroom, he noticed the difference and leaned in to examine the frog. That resulted in the frog attacking his face and well . . . a classroom full of laughing kids. Good times . . .

I reach over and give Riley a one-armed hug. "I'm glad I'll have you."

Riley doesn't respond or even reciprocate my hug.

At that moment, my mom opens the door and steps onto the front porch, with two glasses of iced tea in her hands. "Did I hear you guys talking about school?"

"Yes ma'am," I answer her.

My mom sits down on the step beside me. "You do realize that Riley will be in middle school next year?" She asks.

I look over at Riley only to see her eyes shining with tears. She knew all along we wouldn't be attending the same school.

"No," I get out. "Guess I forgot."

<3 ash | 7.10.16