Chapter Eight.

Photo is of Alex,

Monday......................

The day after the wedding Belle went to school early, she had slipped silently into her apartment and into her room without waking either of her parents. She left for school early ensuring they didn't have the chance to scold her for being gone all day Sunday.

The school opened early and served breakfast to students who rode the bus so she easily slipped into the building. She didn't want breakfast and bypassed the cafeteria in search of an empty room. Each classroom she passed had a teacher getting ready for the day and she didn't want to disturb any of them, when she came to her English room and saw Mr. Reynolds writing on the chalkboard. She hesitated a minute before opening the door and stepping inside.

He glanced at her then turned back to the chalkboard.

"Good morning," She offered.

"Good morning, Miss Whitley."

She took up her regular seat near the back of the room and pulled out her math book, she was failing math class and it bothered her but despite all her studying she wasn't getting any better.

"Maggie...wanted me to give you her number. She wants to keep in touch." He said.

"I don't have a cell phone," She admitted.

"I'll pass that on to her."

"I like her, Maggie. She's nice."

"Yeah, everyone loves Maggie."

"Your family seems....nice," She offered.

"My family is the definition of dysfunctional and we both know it," He said tossing down the chalk and finally turning to face her.

"Mine isn't so great either," She said.

"I don't think I've met your family, neither of your parents come to the PTA meetings."

"That's because they don't care enough to."

He moved from behind his desk to the one beside hers, leaning against it with his arms crossed over his chest and his ankles crossed.

"I know your mother passed away."

"Yeah, my father remarried a lady named Jade. She's nice enough I suppose."

"Is she the reason you were....at the club on Saturday?" He guessed.

"Yeah, they really can't afford to send me to school so.....when I'm done here that's where I'll be."

"You....you're going to be a stripper?" He asked.

Her lower lip started to tremble and tears burned the back of her throat, hearing him say it out loud made it worse, the distaste in his voice evident.

She took a shaky breath as a tear rolled down her cheek, she angrily wiped it away.

"It's not so bad, they....they're not allowed to touch you."

"Belle," He sank to his knees next to her, just as the sobs racked her body.

"I'm sorry," She said through the tears.

"No, don't be. I won't let that happen, I promise. We'll find a way to get you into school."

He reached out and ran his hand through her hair a few times, stroking the long brown locks and letting it slide through his fingers. She turned finally, forcing herself to look at him kneeling beside her.

She took a shaky breath as the sobs began to subside and he continued to stroke her hair. He offered her a small smile and she wiped her eyes. He was sitting so close, she could smell his after shave and wanted nothing more than to bury her face in his chest and stay there.