Chapter 8

I stare at him blind sided as he calls me by my mothers name. "Why did you leave Faith? Why did you leave me?" He asks in a whimper. I feel my eyes water to the sight of my dad so broken. "Dad its me Faith.." I say moving his hair to the side out of his puffy eyes. "Oh Faith.." He sips his wine. "What have we done to deserve this?" He asks. And I wish I could answer him, I really wish I could. But I didn't have the answer, I wasn't the one with the answer.

And even after so many years that he'd ask me this when he is intoxicated, I still don't know. I want to find out the same thing. "I don't know.." Is all I say. He nods with his head handing low. I sit in front of him and he looks up at me. "Shawn left?" He asks, and I'm surprised he noticed, being that he's so drunk. "Yes." I say. He nods. "He's a smart young man you know.. And he seems to like you a lot.. I wouldn't mind if you dated him." My dad says. I bite my lip.

"I don't know..." I say. He touches my hand that layed on my lap. "I know.." His voice cracks. "I know that I've been so bitter to you .. But don't let my cold heart affect you Faith." He says. "Just give him a chance.. I'm not forcing you to marry him or anything.. Just open up a bit." He tells me. And I feel like he's right. For the first time in years, he's given me helpful advice and he's actually treated me like a grown woman. I nod. "Okay.. I will." I say.

He closes his eyes and smiles. His gray hair made him look so old, the wrinkles under his eyes made him look tired. "Why don't we go to bed dad?" I ask. He shakes his head. "No." He says sipping his wine. "Faith.. I have to be honest with you.." He starts. And I feel the pulse in my neck quicken, making me feel sick. "I've been so rotten to you.." You barely realize that now? After all these years? I just sit there, listening to his words that I knew for a fact that he'd forget in the morning.

"You're so ... Amazing.." He whispers. "I'm so grateful that your mother left you with me.. I wouldn't have been okay with out you.." He says. I feel my eyes water. "And.. I never told you that.." I literally witness his eyes water, the strongest and toughest man I know alive, is close to tears. "I'm so proud of you..." His voice cracks and he begins to cry. I let my tears fall, but I quickly wipe them away.

"You're drunk dad.." I say in complete denial that he actually means all these things and outrageous words that leave his intoxicated mouth. He nods and downs the rest of his wine. "You're right.." He agrees. And I knew that my instinct was right. "Now let's get you to bed dad." I say pulling on his arm. He pulls it away. "No Faith. I'm not tired. Let me enjoy my birthday." He says refilling his glass to the rim with wine. "Dad." He looks at me furious.

"Faith! I said no!" He yells slamming his fist on the table. "Fine!" I yell standing up and I feel my stupid tears run out of my days and down my cheeks. "I'm leaving! I don't want to stay here and watch you fill your lungs with Wine." He shrugs. "Go. No one is asking you to watch me like a child." He says harshly. I grab my purse from the large island that centers the kitchen.

"Have a great birthday." I say as I walk out of the kitchen and into the hall way out of his drunk site.

I knew he couldn't change, he can't have feelings. He doesn't know how to be sentimental, or caring. Not even comforting to his only daughter.

**

I watch everything in a blur as Jeong drives me home. "You know Faith." He says from behind the wheel. I look at him. "You may think your father is a heartless and unlovable man.. But he cries at night sometimes.." He says,and I wish I could believe him. I don't answer him.

"I know you don't believe me Faith.. Being that you're Faith the daughter of Lean Heon a very stubborn man and you'd never believe such thing about your father... But its true. He's a very lonely man.. That just wants love." He says. I laugh out loud. "Its funny you say that Jeong." I look back out the window. "My father has never given me love, and you don't see me acting the way that he does. Bitter and cold hearted.. How must he receive if he's never given?" I pause.