001

One | Fell In Mystic Falls

Sixty years.

It had been sixty year since I had left Mystic Falls, the place I was born. I couldn't stay in a town where I had no family or no feeling of love so I had to get out while I could.

My mother, Honoria Fell died when I was nineteen, the same time I had unwillingly become a vampire, in 1864. I know what you're thinking but no, I didn't kill her. I never found out who did. My father also died around the same time in a church fire, I was told, although I never found out the full story behind his death.

For the past sixty years I had travelled to many places and lived in several. I travelled to London, Venice, Prague, anywhere I wanted to, but something inside me always knew that I belonged in Mystic Falls. And that's where I was today, 2010.

I was sitting in a place called Mystic Grill, which I think used to be the town library or something like that. I stirred the ice in my drink, staring at the bartender who was serving others. I could see the vein in his neck pulsing. The cut on his finger, underneath the band-aid, was producing blood; I could smell it. I titled my head slightly, my breathing becoming heavier at the temptation infront of me.

The bartender looked around twenty-one years old, he probably had a girlfriend, a mother, a father, siblings. I wondered what that felt like. I pressed my eyes shut, instantly stopped myself thinking about that.

I couldn't get emotional that easily over someone I didn't know. The feeling of guilt I felt always seemed to triple itself and that's why I struggled to feed from the vein. I rarely ever did it, but it also made me starving, especially after travelling and not having any blood for a while.

"What's a pretty little lady like you doing drinking alone?" A voice suddenly asked, just loud enough for me to hear over the bartenders heartbeat.

I realised I wasn't going to be able to drink from him anytime soon so I turned to match a face to the voice. My glass suddenly dropped a few inches from my hand and onto the bar surface in shock as I saw who it was.

"Cassie?" His icy blue eyes widened in disbelief, mouth ajar in surprise.

"Damon Salvatore." I said, trying to hide the shock.

"You're alive?" He questioned, his eyes instantly saddening. I watch his face try to pick an emotion, his eyes narrowing then widening and his eyebrows raising then lowering, "I thought you were dead?"

"Well, technically I am... being a," I lowered my voice, "vampire and all."

A slightly heavy breath escaped his lips, "Cassie, what are you doing here?"

"Do you want a drink? Bourbon? You used to love that." I asked, changing the conversation. I raised my hand up to bartender boy, "Waiter?"

Damon grabbed my arm and placed it back down, "As much as I would love to know what you're up to. I have to get to the Founders Day parade. So, we can do this whole reunion thing later, okay?"

The bartender made his way over and Damon paid for a drink he'd previously had. I downed the rest of the drink in my glass.

"Of course, Founders Day. Would it be too much to ask if I could come with you?" I placed some money down on the bar surface and pulled on my leather jacket. This could be a chance for me to find out what happened to the Fell family and who had killed my mother.

"Fine," He said before pointing a finger at me, "but any trouble and you leave."

"Me? Trouble?" I jokingly scoffed, following behind him as he left the building, "No way."