Chapter One

Copyright © 2016 by Divine Romance
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.
[In other words: don't plagiarize someone else's hard work.]

~~~
Hi! Just a note to remind you that this is fiction! I can't promise that details in this story will all be perfectly historically accurate D:
I've done my best to keep this as accurate as I can, but mistakes probably will pop up occasionally.   Other than that, enjoy the story!

x Divine Romance
~~~

I was starving. Not a soul cared.

The nobles and rich do not care for 'dirt-scum' or 'drunk beggars.' Our King is sick and tired. His heir, the Prince, is a pompous, arrogant, self-absorbed fool. At least, I think so. A beggar has no chance at joy, particularly an orphan one. I am destined to a life of dirt, hard floors, cold, starvation, loneliness, and judgement. I am kicked and scorned; insulted and teased; cold and broken. 

The nobles and eminent people of status are invited to ball after ball, celebration after celebration, revelry after revelry. The ladies of society dress up in extravagant clothes, with their elegant fans and dramatic hats. The men, in their rich ensembles and gleaming shoes. It sickens me to see such wealthy people who do nothing but laugh at a starving girl.

The streets of Miremwen are a harsh place to live, especially at night. The shadows grow large, the cold becomes icy, and the homes all creak. The castle of Miremwen is the one beacon of light, even if there is a fool living in there. The castle is always lit up with dozens of lanterns. I feel safe falling asleep as I stare at the lanterns.

My name is Rose Culbert. That's it. No fancy long name with a large title. No 'lady' or 'duchess' label. Just Rose Culbert. I have no family and I remember none of them. My parents were executed when I was four... I do not remember why. I do not believe I had any siblings; none of them ever came for me. I was sent to an orphanage, until I was forced to leave on my thirteenth birthday. I have been a tramp, a beggar... scum... ever since. I believe I am nineteen now, but the days fly so fast – every minute of every hour begging for food or warmth – and I have no way to remember what day it is. I know it is 1743. I've counted how many celebrations for the New Year have occurred. You can't miss a New Year party taking place; some noble is always throwing a huge gathering. Six of these huge balls have been thrown since I was thirteen. That must mean I am nineteen, or almost nineteen. I know I was born on the sixth day of October. That was the day the orphanage 'let me go'. I will always remember that horrible day.

My childhood was in that place. It was the one place I felt safe and loved. The woman who ran the place – we all called her Mother – was the only person I trusted. On the morning of my birthday, I woke up smiling and excited. I ran down the stairs, not caring that I was still in my night gown. I flew into 'Mothers' arms and did not notice her sad face. She walked me back to my shared room, telling me she had some gifts for me. I had never received a gift for my birthday before. She told me to get dressed, and disappeared whilst I did that.

She came back to my room with a small satchel in her hand. She told me it had clothes for my future, and a few precious coins. At this stage I was confused. Why was she handing me this satchel, with tears in her eyes? They did not look like happy tears. I was lead to the front door of the run down house. 'Mother' kneeled down to look at me properly. I stared at her beautiful face, beginnings of wrinkles were appearing. I still remember her last words to me. "Child, it's time to let you go. You've grown older, and wiser, and I can do nothing more for you. Leave now, and do not return. I pray that you will find a happy future. I'm sorry." And that was it. No explanation, no comfort, no good reason. The door was slammed in my face, causing the old house to shudder slightly. I was left on that front step, the wind blowing my blonde hair wildly around my face. Betrayal and desperation had pulsed through me. My heart pounded and I had felt dizzy with each breath I had taken.