39. Love Lost, Love Gained

He saw them. Damn it, he saw them!

He saw when she stepped closer to him. The image was burnt into his head, accompanying the twinge of unease that cramped his heart at the sight. He saw when she held his hands, under the pretense of teaching him how to shoot the arrows, as if anyone was foolish enough to believe that was why. He saw the way they looked at each other, the heat flowing between them and he felt a sudden heat of his own, burning away the unease and smoldering with heavy anger.

And when they kissed...

When they kissed, Hale didn't know what to do with himself. As soon as their lips met, with urgency and passion, his heart tore in two. He could feel the two pieces withering away, growing black and dark. He staggered away from the door, dropping the lance he was clutching. The clatter it made didn't separate the couple. They clawed at each other until the passion smoothed out, Saenar's arms wrapping securely around Mynera's waist while she framed his face. The indecency of the pose they stood in had Hale grinding his teeth.

Never had he felt this many emotions at once. Never in his nineteen years had he ever felt this much rage, this much sorrow, this much despair. He knew he was in love with Mynera, knew the feeling was deep. It was made even more obvious to him when he went crazy when she disappeared; he had known then that the love wasn't anything trivial. But it wasn't until this very moment did he realize that not only did his love drive him to abandon his goals to be with her, but it also made him feel something else he never felt before. Deep jealousy and the need to kill.

"Mynera?" Madeline's voice broke him somewhat out of his red haze. His back hit the cool wall and he struggled to bring his face under control, just as Madeline turned the corner.

"Hale?" Her voice was closer. He opened his eyes, confident that he had himself somewhat in control. She was frowning at him, looking him up and down. "Are you quite alright?"

"Yes, Madeline, I'm fine." He tried smiling, failed. To cover it, he said, "Are you looking for Mynera?"

"Why, yes. Have you seen her? She told me she would teach me to use a sword."

"I wonder where she is." From the corner of his eye, he saw the couple trying to get themselves put together. It took everything inside him not to punch the wall. "Maybe she's inside this room."

"Oh?" Madeline inched closer to the door and pushed it open. It swung to reveal them standing close, Saenar holding a bow in his hands as Mynera positioned his fingers properly. At their entrance, they turned.

"Oh, Madeline." Mynera stepped back and smiled. Her face was calm, innocent, at ease. She didn't look flustered or taken aback. She stepped away from Saenar and raised her brow in question. "You were looking for me?"

"Everywhere!" Madeline exclaimed. She rushed forward and grabbed Mynera by the arm. "This armory is so huge I thought I would get lost. Come, the night is upon us and I would like to know the basics before I retire."

"Oh, would you?" Mynera's eyes shifted to Saenar, subtly. "I was just teaching Saenar here how to shoot an arrow."

"Saenar's a fast learner. He can take care of himself. Come, I command you."

"Well, since you command me, I believe I have no choice." Still, Mynera chuckled. "Saenar, we might have to pick up later."

"I'll hold you to that," Saenar replied. Hale almost - almost - grabbed him by the throat. Instead, he just lingered behind them as Mynera and Saenar's eyes shared the same look. Promise.

"Come, come." Madeline was impatient, dragging Mynera by the arm. "I found a beautiful sword in the other room. I believe it was called a ... two bladed sword?"