Chapter 22.

~August~

I'm about to walk out when Bethany's words stopped me dead in my tracks.

"She's yours!"

I paused, half of my body out the door, before turning to look at her with an eyebrow raised.

I took a step back into the room and pushed the door closed.

"Say that shit again?"

I couldn't have heard her right.

"She's our daughter August." She said with a small smile, tears welling in her eyes. "You're her father."

All the oxygen escaped from my lungs and I heard my heartbeat in my ears.

"What? Nah...she can't...nah." I mumbled to myself, shaking my head at her slowly.

She nodded her head fast which made the tears slide down her face.

"I know it's hard to believe but...she's yours, she's our baby girl." Bethany whispered.

I shook my head again, in total disbelief.

But how?

I sat in a chair by the door and laid my face in my hands.

~Bethany~

I watched August sit snd cover his face.

I don't make a move towards him as I wait for his reaction.

"I can't believe it..." He mumbled into his hands.

After a few minutes, he sat up straight and looked at me.

He's...angry?

Why is he angry?

"What's wrong?" I questioned.

"I can't believe this." He growled, pointing a finger accusingly at me and walking towards me.

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't believe you would actually try ta pin that baby on me jus so I wouldn't leave. That's foul, B." August said, scrunching his face up. "And you know how I feel about losing my son and you wanna pull this shit? Fuck wrong witchu?"

My jaw dropped and I just stared at him.

He doesn't believe me!

I felt my anger rising as well and I mean-mugged him.

"Are you serious? Do you honestly think that I'd lie about something like this?" I yelled at him.

"Like you said, a lot has changed since we last saw each otha. Fa all I know, you coulda turned into some gold digger, tryna say that lil girl mine and you know damn well that shit ain't true."

SLAP!

His head snapped to the side and he looked at me crazy.

"The fuck you slap me fa? If I was ta hit yo ass back, then you'd get mad."

I clenched my stinging hand into a fist, ready to swing again but he grabbed my wrist.

"Man, keep ya fuckin hands off me!" He yells
Ed in my face.

"Fuck you!" I screamed back in his, snatching my hand from his grip. "How dare you say that about me? She's yours! Why the hell would I lie about something like that? Do the math!"

"Ion know you tell me. I know you don't want me to leave again but damn," He chuckled darkly. "We ain't see each otha in ova a fuckin year! That shit don't add up, B."