P h o t o #52 - Just A Harmless Dance

I kicked off my heels, barely registering the ache in my legs as I trespassed on a balcony that I knew was obviously off limits for the night. Even if I had snuck into the empty, silent room for an oasis as the night got crazier to to alcoholic influences, I just couldn't find it in me to worry about such a small matter. All I knew was that I was in desperate need of getting some fresh air into my deprived lungs.

My feet felt the chill of the bare, dark stone of the master bedroom's balcony's floor, a freezing sensation that courses through my entire body, a feeling I welcomed with open arms.

The cold was so quenching that it almost completely wiped my memories of the past few minutes of my life, making me wonder if they truly ever happened or if they were all just a part of a drunken dream I had as an after effect of the chocolate liquor still circulating my insides.

The very second I closed my eyes so I could focus on I cool breeze fluttering against my cheeks and pushing back my curls was the moment I relived the look I saw on Cooper's face, as if it were burned to the back of my eyelids as some sort of punishment for being the cause of it.

My fingers clenched around the metal railing I steadied myself with, my torso hunching over it and facing the vast wooded area before me. It seemed I was neither facing the front nor the back lawn, so practically any reminder of the party going on on the floor below didn't exist besides the one bluetooth speaker someone had carelessly planted above the sliding door I came out of. A cover of the classic All I Want For Christmas Is You played softly through the little speaker.

I watched below as bare trees shook in the same breeze that caressed my face, 'Did that...really just happen?' I asked myself, still distraught by the fact that someone, let alone Cooper Appollo, would like someone like me. Even if I was told that he didn't want any more of these self deprecating thoughts coming up as I considered his feelings, I couldn't help but be utterly astonished.

I never even considered it a possibility that any of the boys I've spent the past few months with saw me as a girl they could have a relationship with. Actually, I never considered that anyone would feel that way about me, so you could only imagine my shock.

'Cooper,' I thought, memories I had with him and all of the fun times we shared together flooding my mind. The many times he cheered me up and fumbled over himself, his optimistic tendencies, his contagious smile, 'likes...me.'

I never saw the boy in that kind of light, mostly because I never thought about any type of relationship with another beyond the friendship I had with him and the others. I fanned my boiling face, finally coming to terms with the fact of the matter, 'Now you get all embarrassed,' I thought, shaking my head as I recalled my blubbering self in front of Cooper, 'Emma Leighs, what the hell?'

Even if I knew I was overreacting in every aspect of the sort, I couldn't really blame myself due to how oblivious I was to the advances of others. It wasn't exactly my strong suit, nor was reacting to affections either.

A low groan rumbled past my lips, 'Why did I have to cry?' I cursed, rubbing at my hot cheeks as I realized that I probably smudged and ruined my make up after the whole shameful ordeal. Cooper's surprised, yet pained expression flooded my senses for the second time, making my chest ache twice as hard. It was never my intention to act like that; it was as if I had lost control of myself as I listened to him honestly go on about emotions I didn't have even an inkling of until then. I was ashamed of myself, in all honesty, for allowing him to see the part of me that surfaced when I thought of the only person I've ever shared myself with.