Chapter 31

Brielle was covered in gunpowder, dirt and blood. His blood.  Tears stained her flushed skin, her chocolate iris surrounded by red. She looked so tired and relieved at the same time. All he wanted to to was kiss her and tell her everything was alright. But was it really? When she wrapped her hands around his neck and rained kisses on him, he couldn't think. 

Brielle. I love you. So so much.

He wanted to hold her tightly, tell her he loved her and kiss her endlessly. But he couldn't speak. Every cell in his body seemed to be screaming with agony. It took all his strength to remain conscious, if only to simply delve into the depths of her eyes. It wouldn't do to faint in her arms.

"Jack?" she whispered as she gently put her hands on his face, afraid that even the slightest touch would cause him pain. It still hurt though. He did his best to conceal the flinch and contortion on his face. Jack managed to crack a sincere smile as he looked into her pleading eyes.

"I'm here, Brielle." he said in a weak voice. "I'm okay."

"We need to take you to the hospital," she spluttered as more blood gushed out of the wounds on his leg and back. She tore off a bit of her shirt and wrapped it around the wound on his thigh. The bleeding reduced considerably and she sighed with relief. Her own clothes were barely clinging to her body as it was.

"Thanks." he spoke with difficulty, his chest hurt too much, making it painful to breathe. "Brielle, if something happens to me, if I don't make it, I just want you to know that I ---"

"You will be fine." said Brielle pressing a finger to his lips. "We'll all be okay,"

"Check my pocket, Brielle." he said hoarsely. His voice cracked as he said her name and Brielle felt that was the saddest sound in the world. Just as she put her hand in his pocket, a male voice cut through.

"JACK!" called Axky as he came running towards them. "What the hell happened?"

"He's badly hurt." said Brielle. "He needs to get to a hospital quick."

'I'll carry him on my back." said Axky crouching down. "Hurry."

Brielle nodded as she helped Jack climb onto Axky's back. Jack's body was growing limp with fatigue and blood loss so Axky held tightly on to his legs. Jack's head lobbed to the side as he strained himself to stay awake. As he locked eyes with Brielle once more, he couldn't stop his eyelids from closing one last time.

"Its alright, he's still breathing." reassured Axky as Brielle stared in horror. She noticed the gentle rise and fall of his chest and let out a breath she didn't know she had been holding.

Crunch. The sound of heavy feet over dry leaves in a distance distracted them.

"Axky, I think they're here." hissed Brielle. "If the Kormins find us we are done for. You can drive like a maniac right?"

"Tch. I don't know how to drive. Come on." Axky said as he stood up carrying Jack. Brielle almost fell over with shock. "WHAT?"

"I can't drive." said Axky like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "I usually have a chauffeur for the job. Not one here though."

"You don't know how to drive? I don't know how to drive either. Jack's too hurt to do it." she said harshly as they ran. "How the hell are we going to escape?"

"Calm down woman." said Axky pleasantly. "Everything is under control. No need to get all huffy."

"In the name of all things great how the hell are we supposed to escape in a car if no one can effing drive?"