Chapter Nineteen

I looked around me and noticed that I was the only one standing still like an idiot while everyone danced so I moved away.

Feeling a little thirsty I went over to the bar to get water.

"Just a water." I told the barman who nodded and handed me a bottle of water.

I unscrewed the cap and gulped half the bottle in one sip. Guess I was more thirsty than I thought.

I was about to walk away until I seen Gerald by the bar, he was drinking what looked to be bourbon and looked to be drunk; more drunk than he usually does but not wasted drunk.

What was wrong with him? I worried in my mind and went over to him.

"Hey, what are you doing here all alone?" I asked and sat on stool next him.

He just shrugged in reply and kept his gaze on his glass which he was twirling around.

Something was wrong with him, I could see it.

"Everything okay?" I asked him and placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Everything is just perfect." He said, his tone laced with sarcasm.

What's wrong with him? He seemed just perfectly fine earlier, then why was he acting like this now?

"Gerald, what's troubling you?" I asked him softly.

"Nothing." He said harshly and shoved my hand of his shoulder.

He gulped the remaining bourbon in his glass and walked away. Gerald was generally always happy and chirpy so as a drunk he was pretty much the same only a little louder. Right now I don't know what was the cause of his mood switch.

I decided to give him his space and not be clingy and follow him; so I sat one the stool and finished up my bottle of water getting lost in my thoughts.

Just as I realised that Nate hadn't put my mask back on it dawned on me; Gerald must have seen Nate and I kiss. He was probably drowning out his emotions with alcohol and got drunk which caused him to get more emotional.

A wave of guilt hit me as that thought dawned on me. How could I have let Nate kiss me? I should've known that Gerald would get hurt. God, I'm such an idiot!

I got up from the stool, lifted my dress a little so I won't trip, and ran after Gerald not knowing what to say to him but I didn't care, I needed to fix things.

I searched for him everywhere but I couldn't find him. I went upstairs and searched the whole floor but still nothing. Where the hell could he be?

Then I remembered that when he felt emotional after his mother died where he would go so I went there and knew I'd find him there.

I went up the stairs leading to the roof of the house and I was right, there was Gerald just staring off.

"I know why you're angry." I said, standing a few feet away from him.

"Is that so?" He said hardly. I was facing his back so I couldn't read his expression but I had a feeling that he was showing nothing.

I walked to him and came face to face with him and once again I was right, his eyes were hard and emotionless.

"Yeah, you seen Nate and I kiss." I told him and his jaw clenched at my words.

I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to tell him but I was just going to go with the flow.

"And because of that you're mad, but Ger-" he cut me off before I could complete my sentence.