- compromises -

BUCKY AND NATASHA stopped trying to talk to Elenora about three hours after breakfast, finally getting that she did not in fact want to converse with anyone

BUCKY AND NATASHA stopped trying to talk to Elenora about three hours after breakfast, finally getting that she did not in fact want to converse with anyone. They would attempt to strike up conversations about her life, but ended up hitting a few sensitive subjects. Elenora would end up just nodded and forcing smiles. Both Natasha and Bucky got the hints, and didn't bother to push anymore. They told the young girl that if she needed them, to call out for FRIDAY. Otherwise she had full range to explore and/or mingle.

Sop everything was calm for a while, but it didn't last very long, because at about one o'clock, Peter walked in into the lounge Elenora had stumbled back into, and he took the seat right next to her, making the couch cushions dip.

"Hey," he greeted, sending Elenora one of those really attractive not-a-smile-but-not-a-smirk thing that all guys did. His brown eyes were average, she noticed, nothing about Parker screamed special.

She would have just guessed he was an average boy at first look.

And that seemed super cool to Elenora.

"Hi," she replied, fiddling with her hands.

A minutes passed, and it seemed inevitable to talk to Peter. Thankfully, he started.

"Can I ask you something? You don't have to answer I just guess if you want to-"

"Go ahead," Elenora answered, holding back a smirk. He was trying at least. "Honestly, just shoot."

"Where is your mom?"

"Wish I knew," Elenora replied blandly. It didn't affect her as far as she can tell, barely a jab to the stomach. It seemed unreal in the beginning- ever finding either of her parents. Now it seemed more likely, and it was more hurtful that her mother hadn't come for her. She was too proud to show her disarray, though. "How about yours?"

"She, uh, passed away, along with my father a while back."

And just like that, the girl felt like shit.

"Oh! Oh, oh crap, I'm sorry, honest I just tried to keep the conversation going, I didn't wanna- I mean, it's not like I don't want to have a conversation with you, of course it's not like that! I just tried to- and I'm stopping now," Elenora concluded, placing her hands in her lap, not daring to meet the orphan's eyes. How could she have ruined a conversation so quickly?

"Oh come on," he moaned, "this was going really well." Why did his past always ruin present conversations? It was an intruder in every conversation, he should just stop mentioning it.