Chapter 13 - The Rolling Pin.

Lennon.

We stared each other down for several long seconds before I grabbed the closest thing to me, I wasn’t going to go down without a fight, even if that meant defending myself with a rolling pin.

And when I thought I had seen my life flash before my eyes and nothing worse could happen, several more unfamiliar men armed with weapons appeared. They had rifles, machine guns, pistols, flares, grenades and extra ammunition dangled off their bodies like jewelry. 

The man with the knife turned to face his companions and smirked. His smile grew, his aura of evil seeping from him effortlessly. 

My breathing was loud and the opposite to rhythmic. I was close to experiencing a panic attack. My head felt light, I felt sick and dizzy and the thought of the body only three feet away from me drowning in a puddle of their own blood only made it worse.

The thought of going down fighting soon started to seem stupid. There were at least five of them and only one of me. They had enough weapons to feed a small army where as I had a rolling pin. The end was already decided before it had even begun.

I gripped the rolling pin as tightly as I could, cursing silently at the fact it was still coating in thick flour, which didn't exactly help my grip. I held my breath and breathed out slowly and deeply. I took one last look at Nia, who was barely recognisable. I swallowed down the bile that wanted to show itself.  

The men stood in the door, but quickly filed into the kitchen from every angle. I was pretty much cornered. The lack of communication they had even attempted to make with me made me even more anxious. I didn't want any farewell words or anything of the sort, but the silence other than breathing and footsteps was only making things worse. 

The look on their faces when I held the rolling pin up ready to fight was probably quite the picture. One of the men, whom had a scar running straight across his face much like a machete wound, keeled over and laughed at my actions. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and spit something sarcastic in his face because he was holding a loaded gun and I wasn't. 

"Little girl shouldn't get involved in grown up business." The man with the knife that was still dripping blood, ridiculed.

"Little girl should have stayed at home." Another one spoke.

"Little girl should learn not be nosey."

"Little girl will now learn why."

"Little girl will now die."

The sharp, shrill echo of a gun firing a round filled the whole room. A small yelp left my mouth as I ducked and hid behind the cupboards. My heart was beating so fast I was scared it might actually over work and completely stop. I pressed my hands over my torso checking for a bullet wound. Nothing. I let out a shaky breath and picked up the rolling pin that fell at my feet.

"Little girl should know not to hide."

The voice was scratchy and unpleasant. The set of feet that appeared next to me, adorned in a pair of worn out combat boots kicked my leg to get me to look up. Reluctantly I did. The sweat pouring down my face offered a distinctive shine. The man had a gun inches away from my head. I was no expert but I could see it was loaded and the safety was off. This looked like the end pretty much. 

"Little girl time to say goodbye."

He smiled at me. His evil stare erupted shivers around my body. The sick in my throat desperate to escape. I didn't say my goodbyes. I wasn't a damsel in distress just yet. I was going down fighting whether the fight lasted a minute or more.