━ nineteen: volume five

CHAPTER NINETEEN

VOLUME FIVE

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ 

     SCHOOL WAS FAST APPROACHING following the attack at the camp site. Briar and Livvy, like they expected, were greeted by Laurel and Remus the moment that they showed up at the Burrow the next day. Everyone but Briar had gotten an extra hour of sleep, since the chaos went on until early in the morning for them, and transferred itself into Briar's thoughts for the rest of it.

     Briar desperately wanted to ask about Aster Crouch, and his death, and everything that occurred to him, but the more she mulled it over, the more she realised that her mum would question it. It wasn't likely that Laurel would respond with anything other than, "Why do you want to know about him?" Getting an actual explanation would be impossible. And if she asked her dad, he'd question it, as would Sirius.

     All evidence of Aster's existence was practically non-existent. No photo album seemed to have a trace of him, but Briar figured that was because the majority of them were the ones that Laurel and Remus took in when all of their friends were presumed dead and they needed someone to dump their sentimentally-expensive possessions.

     Which explained a number of photos all around the house, and the repeats of them, especially those with just the four marauders. Briar struggled to find any of Laurel's family, with the exception of one family portrait tucked into the back of one of the photo albums. Briar's grandparents stood beside each other. Laurel and Barty Jr. looked like they were being forced into it. It was dated on the last Christmas Eve that Laurel was a student, the day before she was kicked out.

     Briar knew that there was a box of photo albums and old textbooks and such buried somewhere in the outside shed. As soon as she felt prepared enough to scour for a picture, Briar pulled on the nearest pair of trainers and slipped out of the back door whilst the sun was pulling itself into the sky.

     Sergeant had followed her, but ended up lying down on top of the morning dew whilst Briar snuck into the shed. She pulled out the box, steadying it on the floor. As she searched through the box, a muggle torch hung in her mouth, since her hands were too busy searching through the photo albums.

     Her hands stopped as they brushed against an old journal. Briar dug it out, and the others that mimicked it, and frowned. Seven identical leather journals, all titled as a different volume of the same series, sat on the floor in front of her. Briar opened one of them, the one titled VOLUME TWO. Upon reading the words REVERSING HAIRCUTS, and the spell that correlated, Briar decided to sneak them back into the house.