Chapter 39: Lonely

Chapter 39: Lonely 

We walked leisurely back to the Pokemon Center, Dawn keeping up a continuous stream of conversation about the Contest and its end results. I didn't mind the euphoria as much as I thought I would and felt a twinge of her happiness instead of the normal headache as she chatted energetically. 

Our Pokemon were handed into Nurse Joy to be taken care of for the night while we went to the kitchen. 

Dinner was large- we piled our trays high with food, glad to be eating something besides our normal camping meals. I didn't mind that simple style of living, but Dawn was ecstatic to have a plate of mashed potatoes and pot roast with mixed vegetables that had just been cooked indoors by a chef that actually knew what he was doing. 

"I'm surprised you eat meat." I smirked. 

She finished chewing a piece of beef. "Why?"  

"Because you just seem like a tree hugger type of girl who doesn't want any animal to get hurt."

"Well... I've actually tried being a vegetarian." She blushed. "I guess you know me pretty well." 

I looked down at my now empty plate, not sure how to feel about my theories about her always turning out to be correct. She finished her last couple bites and we put away our dirty dishes before strolling down the Trainers' guest room corridor. 

"I'm taking a shower. I feel gross from the Contest," Dawn announced. 

"You do look pretty disgusting." I smirked again. 

She stuck out her tongue before grinning. "I'll see you in the morning." 

"Good night." 

Dawn disappeared around a corner to the girl's bathroom area while I went back to my room, closing the door firmly behind me. There were a couple of bunk beds, but the room was all mine. A desk sat in the corner, which I threw my backpack on. Through the window I could see the moon, crescent shaped, hanging in the sky. 

I pulled off my jacket and shirt and stretched my arms over my head, feeling more relaxed than usual about how my day had gone considering how dramatic and unnatural it had been. With a small yawn, I lied down on the mattress and pulled the covers over me, closing my eyes and willing my brain to replay Kenny falling to the ground from my punch all night long as I dreamed. 

A sound woke me up, a small creak that didn't belong in a room that was only occupied by myself. Even with my eyed closed, I saw a light that I assumed was from the hallway now unobstructed by the door. I opened my eyes, squinting as they adjusted to the light. 

A human form crept into the room, not bothering to be very quiet. I stared at them- whoever it was, they were pretty small. There wasn't any light in the space now- they'd closed the door behind them. 

Soft humming, like a lullaby, came from their mouth. It was relaxing to listen to and I felt the desire to go back to sleep instantly, but fought it. I had a guess at who the person was. 

Without warning, the figure moved toward the bed and sat down... practically on top of my chest. 

"Oh!" the girl exclaimed, standing up, bumping her head on the top bunk before scrambling away from me. 

"Good morning to you too, Dawn." I held back a chuckle, too amused to be irritated. 

"...Paul?" Dawn screeched. "What are you doing in here!?" 

"It's my room. Room 23? You're Room 22, remember?" I raised an eyebrow, not that she could see it. I sat up in bed, then stood up facing her. 

"Oh... well... I'm just exhausted and... it slipped my mind." Her voice practically squeaked by the end.