14 My Brother's Beta

14 My Brother’s Beta

If I thought that the shopping trip was awkward, then the car ride was torture. Picture this: Kyle driving, Aaron in the passenger seat and me in the back, sitting in the middle seat. Kyle’s talking about how hot the new English exchange student is, while Aaron nodded in (what I hope is) fake enthusiasm.

“How do you even know what the English girl looks like?” Aaron asked, looking at my brother curiously. “She’s not meant to arrive for another week, according to Mrs. Callahan.” (Mrs. Callahan is the head of English).

“I saw a photo of her,” he winked at me. “She’s hot!”

“You already said that,” Aaron and I muttered at the same time. I tried to hide a smile at that.

“What’s got you two so down?” he raised an eyebrow at me through the rear-view mirror, before giving the same expression to his best friend. “And why have you been so awkward, Beth?”

I just shrugged. “I guess I’m just missing my friends from England, and this exchange student’s just reminded me of them.”

I watched as panic slipped into Kyle’s expression, and he clenched the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white. “You better not be planning on moving to England like Rebecca, are you? I mean, I could handle loosing her – because I don’t really remember her - but it’s different with you.”

“I’m not moving,” I said firmly, reassuring him. “But that doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to miss people.”

“I get that, it’s just-“

“I’m not moving,” I repeated, looking at him sternly through the mirror. “Can we talk about something else, please?”

“What’s the point?” Aaron grinned at me, turning in his seat. “We’re already here.”

Sure enough, Kyle pulled into an empty parking space in the middle of the school’s lot. I looked out of the window, watching in amazement as almost everyone who was in a fifty-meter radius swarmed over to the car.

I locked my car door.

“Is that really necessary?” Aaron laughed, unlocking the door – much to my horror.

“Since when have-have…” I couldn’t think straight, seeing as people had their faces practically pressed up against the windows in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the boys. “Have people been, well, swarming you?”

“Since I became Alpha eight months ago,” Kyle smiled, winking. “Majority of these people are in our pack, with a few humans who just go with the flow and pretend to know why we’re so amazing.”

“Amazing,” I scoffed, “You always missed the toilet until you were fifteen.”

“Hey, you promise you wouldn’t ever talk about that again!”

“Dude, if you’re worried about me finding out,” Aaron chuckled, “I already know.”