Chapter 4

As always I would like to thank all of you for your votes and comments! I love reading your different opinions on this story and I'm happy so many of you like it!

kauigirl~

________________________________________________________________

I woke to the beautiful sound of my daughters cooing and baby gurgles.

Turning over in bed my eyes landed on the two people who have mended my heart and brought joy back to my life.

My one month old daughter.

And my husband.

Yes, I am now a mother and a wife.

How did this happen? Marrying Tristan was the only way I could have a normal human life. A single, unwed, soon to be mother would have attracted too much unwanted attention whether it be from males seeing me as an easy target, or female do gooders asking too many questions. It just wasn’t safe if I wanted to keep what I am from human attention and where I was from Devin.

That’s where Tristan came in.

No, he wasn’t some random, unsuspecting man that I pulled off the streets and forced to marry a soon to be mateless mother. He was my eldest brothers best friend and had been since they were babies. That shouldn’t have been possible since Tristan was a human and Stephen was a werewolf, but Tristan’s story is unique and quite sad.

Tristan was found by my dad and his beta, Gabe, when he was just a baby. Someone had placed him on our land just a few feet away from the line that divided territory and the humans. All he had was a blanket and a note saying simply, “Free Meal”. 

Yes, humans still believed we werewolves were a threat to them and would choose them for our meals, never understanding that we lived lives almost identical to theirs, the only difference being we could change our bodies into that of the wolf. It didn’t make us heathens or barbarians, quite the opposite. Being a wolf teaches us to appreciate the differences in people and not judge them by what they are. It teaches us the closeness of family and pack, and to help those around you, not bring them down. Many humans have forgotten these practices, they’ve become hateful and greedy, hurting those that are different and taking more than needed to survive. 

So you tell me, who is the animal?

The anger that filled my father’s beta upon discovering Tristan was immediate. Gabe’s wife had already suffered two miscarriages at the time and to see the humans toss away such a precious gift was saddening. They couldn’t return him to the humans and risk being accused of taking him to begin with, so the only option was to bring him home.

Upon seeing the baby and hearing his story, Catherine, Gabe’s wife, reached for Tristan and brought him to her chest, “I, no, we will care for him and raise him as if he were our own.” she said looking to her husband for agreement. He nodded amongst the murmurs of the pack. One pack member shouted, “But he is human.”

To which Catherine replied, “And we will raise him as such while teaching him about our way of life. He will be brought up how our children are brought up, respecting everything and everyone around them. And when he is ready to leave on his own and return to their world, he will be strong and wise to the truth of werewolves maybe being able to teach the humans a thing or two.”