Chapter 55

"Come on!" I said, smiling at her.

"Michael, do I have to? It's too much walking" She groaned, crossing her arms.

"Don't make me throw you over my back, Ashley" I said, smirking.

Before she could say anything, I picked her up and swung her over my shoulders. She giggled uncontrollably, kicking and yelling for me to put her down in between laughter. I ran down the pathway of the woods and got to the lake. I kept her on my back.

"What are we doing here anyways?" She asked, running her fingers through my hair.

"You're gonna kill me" I said, getting an idea.

"Michael..." She warned.

I ran and jumped into the water with her still on my back. She began to scream and when we came back up, she kept kicking me and laughing. I couldn't help but to laugh too.

I love her so much.

She wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling her body close to mine in the water.

"You're so mean" she joked, shaking her head.

"I just wanted to get a reaction out of you."

"I know" she replied, giggling again. I smiled and pushed a strand of her wet hair behind her ear.

"Love you" I said.

"I love you" she replied, leaning in. But before he lips could attach to mine, everything went blurry.

-

My eyes flew open, and confusion washed over me. What? Where am I?

I looked around, realizing I was still in my cabin.

That whole thing had been a dream.

My heart felt an instant ache and I swallowed the lump in my throat. I heard the shower running, so I know Ashley's awake.

But she's leaving today, and I'm completely broken.

I sat silently on the bed. The shower soon stopped so I knew Ashley would step out at any moment. I decided to act like I was still sleeping, so I wouldn't have to deal with her quite yet.

I lay back and closed my eyes. I heard the bathroom door open then shut, and footsteps coming towards me. I felt a little bit of the bed's weight push down, meaning she was sitting on it. She took her finger and traced it along my jawline. Suddenly, I felt her lips being pressed against my left temple. My heart beat picked up inside my chest, but I kept my eyes closed. That's all she did before she went to change clothes.

I decided to carry on for a few minutes, but I eventually pretended to wake up. I stretched groggily, wiping my eyes.

Ashley looked over at me.

"Hey" she said, keeping a fairly neutral expression on her face.

"Hi" I replied, standing up and getting into the shower.

-

Afternoon came quickly, and I found myself helping Ashley to finish packing her bags, feeling like a fucking loser. I loaded them into her car. She closed the car doors and looked up at me.

"Is this really it?" I asked. "Is this goodbye?"

She looked down and nodded slowly.

"I'm sorry" she said in a whisper.

"Yeah.." I replied, not knowing how to respond.

She wrapped her arms around my waist, resting her head in the crook of my neck. I hugged her back tightly, not ever wanting to let go.

"I know you love me," I whispered. "So why are you doing this?"

"It's for our own good Michael" she replied, sighing. "It's unhealthy for us to keep going back and forth like this."

"But..but-"

"I'm sorry" she said.

She pulled out of the hug and walked to her car. Ironically, it began to rain.

I watched as she drove away and left me alone in the rain, standing there with nothing but hurt.

-

"Fuck!" I yelled, throwing the ring full force across the room. I felt like punching a wall.

It feels like she tore a fucking hole right through my heart. I hate that she did this.

I hate that she took complete control over my feelings. I hate that she left me here. I hate that she gave up. I hate that she's beautiful. Most of all, I hate that she made me fall in love with her, and I hate that I don't hate her at all.

I sat on the bed trying to control my thoughts, but I felt like buying some drinks at the bar and just getting completely wasted. I'd forget about all my problems, and I'd forget about her. But I know it's a stupid idea, because I would wake up in the morning thinking about her once again.

But what if I didn't have to wake up?

No, stop, don't think things like that.

I'm losing my fucking mind. I need to do something; something...

Last time we broke up, I let her go. I didn't try to go after her, and I didn't try to get her back.

I'm not letting that happen again.

But where did she go?

I decided to call Jessica, because Jessica would probably know. She picked up.

"I'm so sorry Michael, I heard..." She trailed off.

"Where is Ashley going?" I asked, completely ignoring the sympathy.

"Why...?"

"Because I need to find her."

"I think she said she's getting an apartment in San Diego.." Jessica trailed off, suddenly remembering the apartment name and the room. I wrote it down and thanked her.

Looks like I'm going to San Diego.

-

I woke up in my car, rubbing my head. I'd been on the way to San Diego but got tired, so I pulled over into the grass and fell asleep in the car. I stretched and continued to drive, getting the GPS to work again.

Millions of thoughts ran through my mind. Why is she going all the way to San Diego? Is it to get away from me? Why is she getting an apartment there?

The only thing that worried me is if she'll be creeped out when she sees that I'm there. Knowing her, she'd probably end up getting a restraining order or some shit.

Anyways, how would she already have an apartment? Wouldn't it take her a while to have to look through different apartments and find the right one?

I began to wonder if she was staying with someone. What if it's a guy?

I felt the anger boil up inside me. I gripped the wheel until my knuckles turned white, but then I realized I'm completely over thinking. The goal is to just get to her apartment, and win her back.

I know I'm the one that suggested we break up in the first place, but I completely came to my senses once Jessica suggested I ask Ashley to marry me. Getting married would be so much easier.

I know Ashley cheated on me, and I know it was wrong. But I'm sure Calum kissed her first. Even though Ashley didn't pull away, she came to me as soon as it happened and told me. She didn't lie, or put it off. The thing is, if it were me I know I would've done either one of those or both, and that sickens me.

I sighed. It only takes 2 hours to get to San Diego from Los Angeles, and so far it's been about 1. I mumbled to myself and turned the radio up to pass time and just stop thinking.

Minutes later, I arrived.

Ashley's P.O.V.

I woke up to the sound of rain beating against the apartment window. I sighed and stood up, walking into the kitchen where my cousin stood.

"Good morning Ashley" she said, smiling at me sympathetically.

"Morning Amanda" I mumbled, trying not to look too sad.

I completely left Michael at his cabin alone, and I feel like shit.

She wrapped an arm around me in comfort.

"Do you want anything to eat?"

"No thanks" I replied. "I'm not hungry."

I sat down on the couch and stared out of the large apartment window. I know Michael will never find me here, so I have no hope of us getting back together. I guess if it's meant to be, it will. But that's highly unlikely.

Suddenly, I heard a noise by the large window. Knitting my eyebrows, I looked over and saw a few rocks pound against it every few seconds or so.

Amanda walked towards the window in confusion, peering out of it. She looked over at me.

"Um..what did you say that Michael guy looks like again?"

I nearly bolted out of my seat and looked down.

My heart began to race in my chest when I saw Michael standing there, tossing rocks at the window.

I raced out of the apartment room and down the stairs. How he found me here, I don't know.

But he's here.

I ran out of the building and straight into Michael's arms. He picked me up and held onto me as my legs a wrapped around his waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he wrapped his arms around my waist. We both just held each other in the rain. I pulled away to look into his eyes.

"I love you" he breathed against my lips, crashing his lips onto mine. I kissed back, touching a hand to his cheek.

"I'm done with the fighting" he said, out of breath. "This is just me and you now. You and me."

"From now on" I added. "I'm done with the bullshit. I need you."

"I need you" he replied, kissing me again.

-
(A/N: THIS ISNT THE END. It's pretty close, but not quite ;)