Chapter 31

I rested my head against the door of the car as he drove down the road. I felt him glance at me as he drove but I just kept looking outside, at the forest.

"What's your name?" I asked him. He glanced at me again then back at the road.

"R. They call me, R." He answered. I looked at him, frowning at him.

"Just R? Just the letter 'R'?"

"Yeah, I can't really recall what my name was but I know it started with the letter 'R'." I could feel he was lying to me because of the way he stiffened up when I asked but I just let it go.

"Well it's nice to finally know your name." I told him.

"What have you been calling me?" He asked, his eyes turning to me then back at the road.

"Doctor. It didn't know what else to call you." I admitted. He nodded, his jaw tightened. I looked back at the window, watching the trees go by. "What did you mean that I was special?"

"What?"

"What did you mean by that?" I repeated the question. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him purse his lips.

"Just forget about it." He told me. I turned back to him.

"How can I forget ab,-"I said forget about it!" He yelled, interrupting me. I jumped away from him and into the door.

"Okay. I'll forget about it." I whispered. I heard him sigh.

"I'm sorry but there are more important matters. You're wanted, Riley. Both by the police, the UN, and by Tony Stark himself. I'm trying to figure out how I can get you on a plane and back to New York." He stated.

"Back to New York? Why there?" I asked.

"There are people there you need to talk to. And I'm sure they would want to talk to you too." And that was all he told me.

"Just keep your head low and don't draw any attention to yourself." R told me before he handed me a ticket and passport, then separated from my side.

I nodded to myself before reaching up, smoothing down the long black wig. I walked up to the security check and handed them my ticket and passport when it was my turn. The man looked at me then at the computer screen in front of him.

"Ma'am, please step to the side for further inspection." He told me, handing me back my passport and ticket. I did what I was told and I was patted down.

"Where you headed, ma'am?" The officer asked me as he patted me down.

"New York." I gave a simple answer.

"Business or Pleasure?" He questioned further.

"Visiting family outside the city." I lied to the officer. He nodded.

"She's clear. Sorry about inconvenience, ma'am." The officer told me.

"Just doing your job." I said before walking to the gate. I let out a small breathe before boarding the plane. I found my seat which was next to a woman in a business suit.

"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. This is a one stop flight to New York, New York. We will be arriving in 23 hours and 55 minutes. Please buckle your seat belts, we about to take off." The flight attendant said. I was already buckled so I looked around. R was sitting right next to me, in the middle aisle. He glanced at me then back to the front.

"I'll wait out here. You go ahead and go in." He told me. I shook my head as I looked up at the Avengers Tower. "Riley."

"Just give me a minute." I demanded from him. He nodded, crossing his arms and leaned against the wall. "Okay."