Chapter 15 - Love Notes

“Ella?” I hear someone calling along with knocks at my door.

I open one eye and stick my hand out of the bed, trying to grab my mobile on the nightstand but I just throw my book to the floor. I groan and sit on my bed and only then I can see my phone at the other extreme of the nightstand. When did that happen? I check the time and it’s so early, it’s not time to wake up and I went to bed really late last night. Who’s bothering me? It can’t be Charlie, he just walks in.

“Can I come in?” The voice asks again and now that I’m a bit more awake I can actually recognise his voice. It’s actually Charlie.

“Yeah, come in,” I reply, furrowing my eyebrows just to see him opening the door and walking inside with his head down, almost like a dog that knows it’s done something wrong. “Charlie? You okay?”

“I’m fine,” he says closing the door and walking up to my bed. “I came to apologise. We waited for you but you didn’t come back and Liv told me that you wanted to be alone.” He takes a seat next to me on the bed and I’m still frowning. “I’m sorry, I didn’t think you were gonna take it that badly. I really thought you wanted to know.”

I sigh as I recall all the memories of what happened last night. From Charlie telling me that my mystery guy was Niall to the very Irish boy confirming it at the stables. I remember the almost panic attack I had and the solution I came up with.

“I overreacted,” I tell him and he looks taken aback. “It’s just that I feel guilty for what I did, and really bad about it. I feel like I was stepping in middle of a relationship, and putting faces to the characters was too hard for a moment. I was barely handling it without knowing who they were.”

“I’m sorry. But you did nothing wrong, Ella. He broke up with her before that,” Charlie tries to comfort me.

“No,” I tell him and I feel a little jab in my chest before I say the following words. “She broke up with him and I knew that from that moment, yet I still kissed him. It wasn’t okay, Charlie.”

“But if she broke up with him you shouldn't feel bad about it,” my best friend tries again but I smile humourlessly.

“It wasn’t his intention to break up with her, but after what happened, he hasn’t tried to fix things. It’s part my fault.”

“It’s not!” He insists but I shake my head. “It’s not, Ella. You don’t have to take the blame for the problems in their relationships. I’m sure those come from a long time ago.”

“Still,” I say placing my hand on his leg. “But don’t worry, I know what I’m gonna do to fix this.” Now it’s Charlie’s turn to frown at me. “I’m gonna help to fix their relationship. I’ll help Niall and Zoe to get back together.”

And again, that little jab in my chest, making me feel unease. But I ignore that feeling and keep smiling at my best friend. This is the right thing to do, this is the way I can make amends for what happened at the ball. I shouldn’t have kissed him in the first place, I just wanted to cheer him up, not to snog with him and make his relationship worse.

Maybe it’s very narcissist of me to think I ruined their relationship. I know they had been having problems for a long time, but I certainly didn’t help and if fixing things between them will relieve some of the guilt, then I must do this.

“Ella, I don’t think that’s a good idea. You fancy him, otherwise you would’ve never kissed him.”

“I kissed him without knowing who he was. It has nothing to do with fancying him or not,” I say but he smiles at me sadly, his eyes telling me that I have it all wrong. “And it doesn’t matter whether I fancy him or not, which I don’t, ‘cos me and you know very well that I’d never go after a famous guy.”