32; Hammers, truth or dare, and interesting sticks

Violet

"I'm pretty sure this thing goes here. Or maybe it doesn't. Oh, I don't know. Wait ... are you even listening? Violet? Viooolleett?"

Across the ground are Zayn and Niall, and they're holding my attention unintentionally. They keep fighting; Niall saying something and Zayn completely ignoring him. I watch as Zayn pegs down one side of the tent. He took off his jacket sometime during the process and now all he wears is a shirt. His biceps bulge as he keeps hammering and my eyes start to burn.

I'm still not really sure what I think about him being here. It makes me feel really nervous, like I'm walking on treacherous ground. Niall says something in his ear that makes him shake his head, pushing him away. The two then begin another argument over, what looks like, what side they're sleeping on.

"Violet!"

I jump about a mile and turn back to Avery, trying to control the imperceptible flushes that are arising on my neck. She stands with her hands on her hips, and the hammer in my hands slowly comes back to being felt.

"Hm?"

Avery sighs. "I don't think we can do this." She looks at where I was just minutes ago. "Baby! Babe!"

Niall immediately comes running over and Avery places her hand on his chest, pouting. "Babe, we need your help." She points to our still very flat tent.

"Oh, sure," Niall says. He waves Zayn over and, it's silly, but my heart jumps a little.

Zayn walks over, his shirt stuck to him due to sweat and the forms of his muscles easily seen. He gives me a half smile. "Can't do it, huh?"

I clutch the hammer to my chest. "I can so."

He just raises his eyebrow.

"Just watch me." I bend down, grab a peg, and start hammering it into the ground. On the second try, I miss. And the hammer hits me straight on my thumb. "OUCH!" I scream.

Zayn leans over me and takes my hand, inspecting the damage. It's not bleeding, and I'm totally overreacting, but either Zayn doesn't know, or just doesn't care. Because he doesn't let my hand go. I look up at him, trying to see his brown eyes, and he's about to say something, something good and interesting - I just know, when Liam rushes to me.

"Violet, are you okay?" He fusses.

Zayn lets go of my hand and stands up, backing away a little shyly as Liam fills his place. There's a tiny bit of disappointment in my gut, but I quickly dismiss it. Liam is my boyfriend, he should be the one to look after me.

"I'm fine," I tell him, getting to my feet.

"You're not fine. I think you need to lie down," he says, holding me as if I'm about to break. "I'll go get you some water."

"Liam, I'm fine!" I snap. Why is he making such a big deal out of this? "I hit my thumb, not my head. Would you stop treating me like I'm a child?"