30. Fainting couch

[RECAP: After Mr Marek's surprise kiss at the Bonfire night celebrations, Sera has big expectations for their final painting session...]

It started with a tickle in her throat. That typical dry, scratchy feeling. Sera tried to ignore it. Lois had already called off their Saturday night plans due to a virus and Sera had a horrible feeling that she was coming down with the same.

But she absolutely couldn't miss her session with Mr Marek today. It was their fifth and final session and it felt like her last chance. After today she would never get any alone time with him again. She would be reduced to hoping to bump into him in a bar and getting him drunk or something.

There was the folk concert coming up but everyone would be there, and it hardly seemed like a sexy setting.

So it was now or never.

Sera had no idea what Mr Marek had been thinking on Bonfire Night because he had made no allusion to it during the week or in the evening class. He hadn't come for the usual drink at the Norfolk Arms either, claiming he had to see to his father which was probably true. His father hadn't been able to come straight home from hospital as planned due to a few complications with his knee, which he had injured when he fell.

Skipping breakfast as she felt queasy and had no appetite, Sera wrapped up warmly in the bitter November air and walked briskly across town. Her family were away at Marisa's parents' house. Once again Sera had used homework as an excuse though of course the real reason was her modelling session with her art teacher. Neither her father nor Marisa had guessed anything, thankfully. Sera had managed to create the impression that she and Lois had a regular study session on Saturday lunchtimes.

There was Catalina, still under her tarpaulin dusted with decaying leaves and twigs. Did the people who owned the boat ever take it out?

For the last time she quickly undressed in the study, donned the robe, went to the couch and lay in the usual position.

Mr Marek worked intently that day, not talking. He was near to completing, she assumed, and perhaps needed to concentrate.

Sera tried to remain still. She felt more and more tired and stiff and aching the longer she lay there. The heater didn't seem to be working properly. She felt cold. Very cold and shivery. But also hot. And tired. Momentarily she closed her eyes then realised she couldn't keep her teeth from chattering.

"Sera?" Mr Marek was looking at her, concerned. Not in the usual way he did to paint her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She could do this. She wasn't going to fall at the last hurdle.

"You're very pale. Are you sure you're okay?" He came over and felt her forehead. "Christ, you're burning up. Get your clothes back on immediately." He helped her put the robe around her but by then she was shivering uncontrollably. "You're clearly ill. I'll drive you home. Are your parents there?"

"They're away this weekend."

He swore again. "You shouldn't be alone."

The light was starting to do strange things in front of Sera's eyes. A weird grey fuzziness like the static on an untuned television was appearing around the edges of her vision. She was almost fascinated by it but she couldn't stop it.

It moved across, closing in, clouding everything out, and she found herself sinking to her knees. Everything was disappearing, her body ached so much.

"You need to lie down. Come here."

Half lifting her, half guiding her Mr Marek managed to get her up the stairs and into a bedroom. Still wrapped in the hotel robe, Sera was put into a bed and the covers pulled over her. It was soft but so cold, the sheets were chill.

"I'm so cold." Her voice was barely a whisper. She felt as though she were in a dream. Everything ached and she was so cold. So very cold. She was shivering violently.

He slipped into the bed behind her and wrapped his arms around her, trying to keep her warm. He was fully clothed but he was warm through the fabric. She needed heat. "Please don't leave me."

Then the world went black and Sera knew nothing else.