The Bathroom Stall|Note Seventy-One

Note Seventy-One

'Cause I knew you were trouble when you walked in

So shame on me now

Flew me to places I'd never been

'Til you put me down, oh

I knew you were trouble when you walked in

So shame on me now

Flew me to places I'd never been

Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground

"I cannot believe you still don't have a Homecoming dress yet and it's the day before." Jacklyn muttered as she perused the racks at Deb's, her lips pursed as she flipped through several hangers.

Looking at one dress in particular, one that shined like a pink disco and several inches short of being a shirt, I turned away and sighed. "I had a dress. Until you decided it wasn't good enough."

"Cora, you wore that dress freshman year to the Winter Formal."

"Exactly. Who cares? It's a dress."

Jacklyn whirled around, her curls flying everywhere, and placed her hands on her hips, causing several of the dressed in her arms to droop down to the gray carpet. "I care. I'm not going to Homecoming but I'm need to be damn sure that my best friend looks hot enough for Terrence to regret ever cheating on you."

"That's the last thing I want." I replied, turning back to a rack that looked less scandalous than the previous.

"Okay, I don't want you to go back to that cheating ass, but wouldn't it feel good to look amazing?"

"Are you saying I don't always look amazing?" I asked, grimacing as I glanced over a snakeskin feather concoction.

"No, I just want you to look fabulous. Ooh, how about this one?" Jacklyn held up an emerald green dress with one strap and gold beading on the shoulder. "Green is so your color. It would look so hot with your black hair."

Sighing, I reached over and grabbed the dress and headed to the dressing room. To my immense surprise, the dress actually did look good on me, falling to above my knees and wrapping around my body like a glove. Although it was too tight, it was probably my best bet.

"I told you you would look hot" Jacklyn said, clapping her hands together when I stepped out. A couple shoppers looked my way, and I blushed.

"Can you not give me a standing ovation please?"

"Okay, dress is on me. Go change out and we'll go to Macy's and check out some shoes. I'm feeling some glittery gold heels."

I grabbed Jacklyn's hand as she got out her credit card. "You are not paying for my dress."

She rolled her eyes and shook off my hand. "Yes I am. Don't argue. After everything, I really owe you one."

"No."

Jacklyn raised an eyebrow. "If you do not get out of that dress right now and give it to me so I can buy it for you, I will pay for one of those hot pink flamingo looking dresses. I know you love feathers. Especially with sparkly leopard print."

That shut me up.

***

From: Tucker To: Cora Roberts

Hey, you excited?

Sent: 9/29 9:39 p.m.

From: Cora Roberts To: Tucker

Why should I be excited. Is Sara Bareilles going to be performing at the dance?

Sent: 9/29 9:39 p.m.

From: Tucker To: Cora Roberts

Yes

Sent: 9/29 9:40 p.m.

From: Cora Roberts To: Tucker

Darn it. I just bought an expensive dress. If I knew Sara Bareilles was going, I would have just planned on wearing my fangirl t-shirt.

Sent: 9/29 9:41 p.m.

From: Tucker To: Cora Roberts

It'll be fun. I promise. See you at my house at four? All the girls and guys want to get ready together.

Sent: 9/29 9:41 p.m.

From: Cora Roberts To: Tucker

If you say so. I'll bring a curling iron for your hair :D

Sent: 9/29 9:41 p.m.

I smiled as Tucker sent me an insult in reply and then set down my phone. Flexing my toes, I went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth, getting ready for bed. When I came out, my phone was flashing. Frowning, I picked it up. I hadn't sent a text back to Tucker so I didn't have a clue as to who it was.

From: Creepy Stalker To: Cora Roberts

Hey, you excited?

Sent: 9/29 9:58 p.m.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I scrolled up to Tucker's message that he had sent me.

There was no way it could be a coincidence that their messages were the exact same.