Chapter 30: The Lost Son

"And it's hard to hate someone once you understand them." ― Lucy Christopher

Third Person POV

Zandros waited for his wife in his study. After dinner, he told her to follow him.  According to chief officer Espiredes, Agatha decided to be a witness against Tara Asker and Dr. Lorenzo Agnelis for covering up the crime, and the rest of the nurses who there that day, after giving her statement on what happened that day. 

Tomorrow, the police will go to the suspects house to arrest them and the reporters would surely sniff it and the news will spread like a wildfire. He needs to talk to his wife soon and let her know before she'll find out on someone else.

"You look tense, honey? Is there any problem?" Lauren walks in and gave their butler a sweet smile. The butler nodded and disappeared behind his wife and closed the door. 

Zandros stood up and led his wife to the couch. He assisted her until she's settled and sat beside her, holding the urge to cuddle her. He needs to focus on the matter at hand and let his big appetite for her set aside.

"Remember when you deliver our first baby? When you always complain that your belly is too big and it seems like there's a lot of feet kicking your heart but the doctor insisted there's only one?"

Zandros started. Lauren's eyes turn misty as she stares at him adoringly. She nodded with a sweet smile. A smile of overwhelming happiness. "It was the best day of my life. He was our greatest gift," she mused and Zandros nodded. 

He stared at her intently, while Lauren's eyebrow starting to furrow. He swallowed thickly trying to calm his nerves. He doesn't know how to say it, but he has to. He doesn't even know how will his wife take this news.

"Zandros?" Lauren regarded him intently, her eyes filled with curiosity. 

"Alexandrous has a twin," he blurted out. He hated going around the bush. 

Lauren stared at him, shocked. The blood of her face seems draining off. "Moro mou," Zandros frantically scooted closer to her and pulled her to him.

"How is that possible? The doctor says there's only one? Even the—"

"I know, moro mou," Zandros cooed, his heart tightening for his wife. His anger starting to resurface at the person behind all of their suffering now. "Remember, we were both unconscious? In the system, the next baby came out a few seconds after Alexandrous and he was named Alexandrine," Zandros explained cautiously. He felt Lauren's hands around him. Her grip tightening.

"I have another son?" her voice quivering, mixed emotions felt overwhelming. I can't tell if she's angry or happy, or sad. 

"Yes,"

"How did we lose him?" she cried, her voice still low but broken. He felt broken hearing her, the tension air becoming thick inside the room. His heart bleeds for his wife. He swore he would let these people rot in hell. 

"Dr. Tara Asker ..." Zandros swallowed hard as he slowly pulls her away to look at her eyes " she took her," he said.

Zandros regretted to stare at her eyes. He saw the pain, her soul shattering, the glow in her eyes slowly withering. "She's the doctor who helps me?" she mumbled incoherently. Zandros nodded, his eyes getting misty, tears brimming around his eyes.

"WHY?" the sternness in her voice becoming pronounced, gritting her teeth, she stared at Zandros hard.

Zandros look away. He can't meet her perusing eyes. "Why would she do that, Zandros?" she probes. Her voice is impatient and full of bitterness and pain.