Chapter 6:3

Liam opened his mouth to argue more, but was cut off by the sound of a door opening on the other side of the warehouse. It echoed through the darkness.

Avery and Liam switched off their lights as we rushed back towards the open window. I glanced back once to see another beam swing through the darkness.

We reached the window and pushed it open slowly; now wasn't a good time to squeak.

Liam held the window open as I helped Avery through, and then climbed out after her. I held the window steady as Liam climbed through, and then lowered it again. We crouched low under the window, our backs against the corrugated metal siding.

My breath and pulse were racing, and I tried to steady my nerves. That had been close.

"We need to leave. Now." Liam's whisper came just inches away from my ear.

I shook my head. "We've got to see the other warehouse. Maybe grab one of those plants."

The window above us creaked, and I froze.

"Stupid windows," a voice said above us. "They really need to fix those." The window banged shut, and muffling the voice.

I held my breath until I could no longer hear him and let it out while we waited in silence.

After what felt like years, Liam spoke softly. "We need to leave. I don't want to get caught-"

"What, like we do?"

"That's what it seems-"

"Enough," Avery said and stood. "Let's just get moving." She started towards the other warehouse, trying to look everywhere at once.

I followed after her, not waiting to see if Liam would follow. He was out-numbered, and he'd agreed to come.

The other warehouse was a story taller than the first. The only entrance we could find was a staircase to a door on the second floor.

I climbed the stairs, staying close to the side of the building.

Poe flew in, landing on the railing. I tried the door once I reached it, and found it locked. Avery stepped up beside me and touched the door. I felt the barest whisper of her power as she closed her eyes.

"It's just a simple deadbolt," she said and frowned. A hollow thud sounded from the door as the bolt slid back. She looked up at me and smiled. "Sneaking in and out of the house as a kid had a few benefits."

She eased the door open and peeked inside. "It's clear."

I nodded, and Avery held the door as Liam and I slipped past. I was looking for anything that might be out of the ordinary for a warehouse. What I found was pretty odd.

There wasn't a floor inside at the level of the door, just a metal catwalk that circled around the perimeter and cut across the warehouse. I walked up to the railing, looking out over the scene before me. The true floor was sunken, concrete slabs two stories below where we all stood. Rows of hydroponic bays filled the warehouse. The special lights, bright and artificial, ran on noisy generators that sat off to the side. Hooded, white-robed figures moved along the rows, tending to the plants. Witches.

"What in the world?" Avery whispered.

Liam made an impatient sound. "There are your 'plants'. Now can we go?"

I didn't even bother looking at him. "Not yet, we don't even know what kind of plants those are." I took a step out onto the nearest catwalk, but a hand jerked me back.

"Are you insane?!" Liam said harshly. "What if someone sees us? What if they catch us? We are out numbered and there's no telling what they can do!"

Glancing back at Avery, I could see her resolve crumbling.

"We've seen enough. Liam's right, it's time to go back and tell the others." She moved back and bumped into the corner of the railing. The metal rattled against its fastenings and the sound echoed through the warehouse. Loud enough to echo over the generators. All the hooded figures below us turned, searching for its source.

"Up there!" One of them shouted, pointing at us..

Avery gave me a horrified look. We dashed for the door, but once we got there it wouldn't budge.

"What the hell!" Liam said, jamming his shoulder against it.

"Guys!"

I turned to see what Avery was pointing at, and found the witches heading up the interior stairs to cut us off.

"This way," Liam shouted and grabbed Avery's arm. I followed them back onto the metal catwalk that led out over the plants. Witches were already on the other side, running towards us, but about halfway a ladder rose to the roof.

Avery's voice was shaky when she asked, "What are we going to do?"

"We'll figure it out." I told her. "Just run!"

The catwalk rattled with each step. My heart raced, hoping the supports wouldn't give way with the next one. Liam reached the ladder first, but pushed Avery in front of him.

"Quickly!" he urged as she climbed, and started up after her.

I watched the robed figures advance on either side, waiting until Liam got far enough up the ladder that I could climb on as well.

"Come on, climb faster!" I called.

Avery reached the skylight and pushed it open. She glanced back, looking past me with terror on her face.

Looking down, I saw the Witches right below, reaching for me. I kicked at their hands, but they grabbed hold. My grip on the ladder slipped and I fell to the catwalk, my bag not doing much to cushion my landing.

"No-" Avery's scream was cut off as Liam tried to pull her away from the window. I knew he'd keep her safe.

"Just go! Find Poe," I yelled, fear gripping me as I watched more witches climb the ladder after them. Rough hands pulled at my arms, setting me upright.

Liam hesitated only a moment longer before disappearing from the skylight. One of the witches caught my attention as they stepped in closer, reaching into their sleeve, revealing a small vial.

"Wait, what's that?"

"I'm sorry," he whispered as he closed the distance between us, and I could finally see into the shadows under his hood.

"J-" I started to say, but he took advantage of my surprise and forced the vial under my nose. The foul smell hit me instantly, making my body go limp. The last thing I saw before the blackness overtook me was the shape of a bird sitting on the edge of the skylight.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 6:3 is up!! Finally! I feel like I've been working on this section FOREVER!  Between all the craziness going on in my life, all the work this part needed to get it polished, and oh yeah, POKEMON GO!, it just took too long

 6:3 is up!! Finally! I feel like I've been working on this section FOREVER!  Between all the craziness going on in my life, all the work this part needed to get it polished, and oh yeah, POKEMON GO!, it just took too long. I'm hoping to have the last section of this chapter up by the end of the month!

Please remember to Comment, Vote, Share!

I love y'all, ~ J.D.