9.His story

Then
I remember that day clearly. It was the first time I ever saw her cry. She showed up at my house around 3 am and sent a frantic text asking if I was awake and would let me in.  I hurried to let her in. She had a strict curfew of 11 so I wasn't expecting her to even be let out of the house at this hour.  I came out onto the porch so as not to wake up my parents. It was warm and humid and I was drenched in sweat and so was she at least that's what I thought.  She didn't talk for a few minutes she just curled up with her head in my lap.  I thought she had gone to sleep until I felt her shuddering breaths. I took a good look at her for the first time tonight. She was wearing her nightclothes. Her hair was a mess and she wasn't wearing any makeup.  In the dim porch light I made out the glistening tears on her cheeks. Hey I said pulling her closer and burying my face in her hair.  What's wrong? She snuggled closer. It's nothing she said trying to wipe away her tears. Coming to my house at 3am wearing pajamas and crying is not nothing I  said gently. Tell me what's up.
My dads dead she sobbed. And my mom won't talk to me and the funerals in 2 days. And above all of that I'm failing 2 of my classes and there is a rumor that you and your ex are going out with you behind my back!! Are you cheating on me?! She asked.  She gave a huge hiccuping sob. I don't know why I'm here she said. I just needed to be with someone I loved right now who isn't talking about my dead father or spreading rumors about you and your ex. Hey there! I'd never cheat on you and your dad is in a better place I said pulling her closer and rocking her a little.  She lost all of her control and just broke down.  It broke my heart to see her like this.  I had sat there all night just sitting and rocking her until the sobs finally subsided.  She had finally drifted off to sleep.  I remember carrying her up to my room and laying her down underneath the blankets. I lay down on top of them and promptly fell asleep with her nestled in my arms.